



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has condemned the abduction of schoolchildren, teachers and school officials during coordinated attacks on schools in the Ahoro-Esinele and Yawota communities of Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the incident as “a national disgrace” and “a horrifying collapse of security.”
In a statement issued on Monday, CAN President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, said the invasion of schools by armed criminals in broad daylight and the forceful abduction of pupils and teachers represented “a direct assault on the conscience of the nation.”
“When children are hunted in their classrooms, silence becomes complicity and delay becomes dangerous,” the statement read.
The Christian body said it was “outraged” that heavily armed attackers were able to storm multiple schools, terrorise communities, kill innocent people and flee with dozens of pupils and teachers.
“It is intolerable, disgraceful and utterly unacceptable that Nigerian children can no longer sit safely in classrooms without the fear of being kidnapped by armed gangs,” CAN stated.
The association further described the attack as more than “another security incident,” warning that organised criminal violence was spreading into areas previously considered relatively secure.
“This is a national disgrace and a frightening reminder that organised criminal violence is spreading into parts of the country once considered relatively secure,” the statement added.
CAN also mourned the reported killing of an assistant headmaster who allegedly attempted to protect the pupils during the attack, alongside other victims.
“Their sacrifice must never be forgotten, and those responsible must be identified, apprehended and prosecuted without hesitation,” it said.
The organisation lamented the plight of teachers, parents and pupils affected by the incident, saying no teacher should have to choose between educating children and risking death or abduction.
“The sight of terrified teachers and helpless mothers pleading for mercy from inside captivity is a national humiliation that no responsible society should tolerate,” the statement noted.
CAN accused authorities of failing to decisively tackle kidnapping networks and armed criminal groups across the country.
“Nigerians are exhausted by condolences without consequences and promises without protection,” the group said, warning that insecurity once concentrated in parts of northern Nigeria was now spreading dangerously into the South-West and other regions.
The association called on the Federal Government, security agencies and the Oyo State Government to take “immediate, forceful and coordinated action” to secure the release of the abducted victims and arrest those responsible.
“Every available security and intelligence resource must be deployed to secure the unconditional release of the abducted victims and bring the perpetrators and their collaborators to justice,” CAN said.
The group further urged authorities to strengthen school safety measures and reclaim rural communities and forest corridors from criminal elements.
“Nigeria must never surrender its schools, its children or its future to armed criminals,” the statement added.
CAN expressed solidarity with affected families, churches, school communities and residents of Oriire Local Government Area, while praying for the safe return of all abducted victims. (Daily Trust)

























