



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.







Minister of FCT, Nyesom Wike
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, on Monday, ordered a full-scale investigation into the building collapse in Gudu area of Abuja that claimed five lives, directing that the premises be sealed off immediately.
Wike also disclosed that an engineer linked to the collapsed structure had been arrested, while the developer would equally face arrest and a panel set up to unravel the cause of the collapse.
The minister, who visited the scene of the collapsed building on Monday, described the incident as “very pathetic,” stressing that the government would not compromise on the safety of residents.
“From the report I got, we lost five people and some lives were saved. It’s very pathetic. Nobody is happy when you lose somebody.
“The Department of Development Control has sealed off the premises. We are going to set up a panel to really look at what happened. One of the engineers has been arrested already. From there, we’ll get to the developer, and the developer will also be arrested,” he said.
He said the FCT Administration was taking over the matter, while the Department of Development Control would carry out preliminary investigations pending the outcome of the panel’s findings.
Wike warned developers against obstructing officials of the Federal Capital Development Administration (FCDA) from carrying out routine supervision of construction projects.
According to him, some developers often resort to blackmail whenever government agencies attempt to enforce compliance with building regulations.
“Sometimes when we come to a site like this, the press has not been kind to us. Instead of finding out why the government is taking that decision, some people will go to blackmail government officials,” he said.
The minister stressed that strict compliance with building standards, including soil tests and the use of quality materials, remained critical to preventing future disasters.
He maintained that the government’s primary responsibility was the protection of lives and property, lamenting that the lives lost in the collapse could never be replaced. (Daily Trust)



















