



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Six persons died as a
mining pit collapsed on Tuesday, at Zawan Community, in Jos South Local
Government Area of Plateau State.
Mr. Gwottson Fom, member
representing Jos South Constituency in the State House of Assembly confirmed
the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday.
Fom said that the ages
of the victims ranged from 20 to 27, describing the incident as “sad and
unfortunate.”
A NAN correspondent, who
visited the area reports that many others sustained injury in the incident.
The lawmaker noted that
the victims died engaging in illegal activity.
“We know that these
young persons died carrying out an illegal activity but it is obvious
unemployment led them into doing it.
“People go out of their
way to do things considered illegal just to fend for themselves and their
families.
“This is not time to
apportion blames but it is sad and unfortunate that a community will lose six
youths in a day,” he said.
Fom called on illegal
miners to desist from the act and engage in other acceptable ventures.
“If people must engage
in mining activities, they should do it the right way. They must ensure they
are licensed to do it,’’ he advised.
Earlier, Mr Emmanuel
Gyang, an eye witness and Youth Leader in the community told NAN that the
incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon.
Gyang described the
incident as devastating, saying that it was the first of such incident in the
community.
According to him, over
50 persons were inside the mining pit when it collapsed on them, while others
were rescued with various degrees of injuries.
“This is the first time
we are experiencing such ugly incident in this community
“It is a devastating
situation; losing six youths in one day is really sad and a monumental loss,”
he said.
Gyang said that the
corpses had been buried, while the injured were currently receiving treatment
at Our Lady of Apostles Hospital, Zawan. (NAN)

























