



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) on Wednesday sealed
off four Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) plants, over non-compliance and illegal
operations in Lagos.
Officers of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC),
which collaborated with the DPR in the exercise, also arrested three employees
of the sealed LPG — also known as cooking gas — plants.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the gas stations
sealed off include Geogas Gas Filling Plant, Oduduwa Road, Oworonsoki and
Classic Gas, MKO Abiola Market, Agege, Lagos.
Also shut down by the petroleum regulatory agency were Al-Morruf
Gas Plant and Vertex Gas, both located in the Agege axis of the state.
Mr Abel Igheghe, Head, Gas, DPR, Lagos Zonal Office, said over 54
gas plants had been sealed off in 2019 for not complying with international
standards.
He said the LPG plants were sealed for being illegal and operating
within densely populated residential areas, schools and market places.
Igheghe said: “These gas plants were sealed by DPR for not meeting
international safety standard in their operations.
“Some of them, like the one inside MKO Abiola Market, pose a great
threat to the lives and property of people nearby.
“You cannot be refilling the gas in this kind of location because
fire can be ignited from any source due to its proximity to a busy road and
other businesses.”
According to him, all the sealed facilities did not meet the
minimum 15 meters required for such operations which is a critical safety
requirement.
He said that the sealed stations were also operating without
approval or license from the DPR, and the agency would continue to clamp down
on such illegal plants.
“We have served them notices to dismantle these structures and we
will continue to carry out surveillance to ensure that they are removed,’’ he
said.
Igheghe said the DPR was collaborating with the NSCDC to enforce
compliance with the closure order because the agency itself had no power to
arrest or prosecute defaulters.
He appealed to Nigerians to assist the agency in reporting such
illegal facilities operating within their areas to avert tragedies caused by
gas explosions. (NAN)

























