ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


NDC presidential candidate, Peter Obi
The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has condemned the recent killings and abductions in parts of Nigeria’s North-Central region, calling on governments at all levels to take urgent action to protect vulnerable communities.
Obi described the spate of attacks in Benue, Plateau and Niger states as a national security emergency, warning that Nigeria must not allow the worsening violence to become the norm.
The former Anambra State governor made the call in a statement posted on his X handle on Sunday.
He said the attacks in the three North-Central states were part of a wider pattern of insecurity across the country and should no longer be treated as isolated incidents.
Obi wrote: “What is happening to our country? In recent days, deadly attacks have struck Benue, Plateau and Niger States, three contiguous states in Nigeria’s North-Central region.
“In Mangu, Plateau State, at least 23 people were officially reported killed in the Jwak Maitumbi attack, while residents put the toll above 30. More than 45 houses were reportedly destroyed.
“In Borgu, Niger State, recent attacks reportedly killed over 40 people and abducted more than 100, though the figures remain contested. This comes amid continuing violence in Benue, where communities face repeated killings, abductions and the destruction of homes and livelihoods.”
Obi expressed concern that Nigerians were being attacked in their communities despite the country not being officially at war.
“Nigeria is not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms,” he said.
He urged the government to strengthen security measures, improve intelligence gathering and rapid-response capabilities, rescue abducted Nigerians and ensure that those responsible for the attacks are arrested and prosecuted.
“I urge governments at all levels to wake up to their responsibility and take urgent and decisive action to end this madness once and for all,” Obi said.
“Government must protect vulnerable communities, improve intelligence and rapid-response capabilities, rescue abducted Nigerians, and arrest and prosecute those responsible.”
The former governor said the priority should be to prevent attacks rather than respond only after lives had been lost.
“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen.
“Protecting lives and property is the most basic duty of government. Nigerians deserve nothing less. Nigeria must not become a killing field.” (Channels TV)