



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Kaduna State Governor, Senator Umar Sani
By SANI IDRIS ABDULRAHMAN
Contractors in Kaduna have appealed to the State Government to immediately pay debts owed under the N38 billion Formal Act Legacy contract awarded in 2023.
The appeal was made on Saturday in Kaduna at a press briefing by the contractors, who said over 400 of them were facing severe economic hardship.
Daniel Ejembi, Chairman, Eagle Brain Human Rights Organisation, an NGO mediating between the government and the contractors, explained that the contractors executed projects across the state after mobilising materials, drilling boreholes, and completing assignments directed by the Ministry for Local Government.
He stated that contractors returned to sites following directives issued through a memo by the ministry.
According to him, many contractors obtained loans from banks and finance companies at high interest rates to complete the projects.
Ejembi said contractors risked their businesses, properties, and family homes believing the government would honour its obligations after project completion.
“To date, not a single kobo has been paid. No explanation has been given,” he said.
He criticised plans to distribute N150 million realised from the sale of leftover drugs among nearly 300 contractors.
He said the amount would leave each contractor with less than N500,000 in spite of millions allegedly owed to individual contractors.
Ejembi described the proposal as tokenism and a deliberate attempt to dismiss legitimate claims with inadequate payments.
He added that many contractors had lost homes, businesses, and the ability to pay school fees and medical bills for their families.
He said banks and loan companies continued mounting pressure on contractors due to unpaid debts linked to the projects.
He warned that contractors might begin decommissioning boreholes and retrieving supplied items if payment was not made soon.
“This is not a threat. It is a last act of self-preservation after being pushed to the brink,” he said.
He also called for full disclosure on why payments had remained unpaid for more than two years in spite of completed projects.
He further demanded an independent audit of the N38 billion contract and the N150 million drug sale transaction.
He urged anti-corruption agencies, the media, and the public to investigate the matter urgently, insisting justice had been delayed for too long.
Some of the contractors, Abubakar Ibrahim and Mohammed Bulama, said the projects covered medical equipment, vaccines, medicines, generators, and renovation of healthcare centres among others across the state.
They said local government chairmen supervised the projects and issued official documents approving execution and completion of assignments in their respective areas.
“The site was shown by LG chairmen and their staff. Job provision certificates were signed by LG chairmen.”
They also added that the Ministry for Local Government and Kaduna State Government participated through a partnership agreement with Formal Act Legacy, which served as consultant.
The contractors claimed that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and a ministry panel verified claims submitted by some affected contractors.
The contractors criticised the proposed N150 million settlement from the sale of leftover trucks, describing it as grossly inadequate.
“The money now being offered didn’t come from LG or state accounts.
“Some LG chairmen admitted money has been deducted from their accounts since last November, yet no contractor has been paid.”
They said the prolonged delay had left several contractors bankrupt, traumatised, and unable to repay loans obtained to execute the projects.
According to the contractors, some affected members had been evicted from their homes, while one allegedly lost his sight due to stress.
They said payment of the debts would improve public confidence in the administration and demonstrate commitment to accountability.
“If the government pays up, it can change public perception and show seriousness about development.” (NAN)

























