



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Malam Nasir El-Rufai
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, has explained why the leadership of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, cannot see Malam Nasir el-Rufai.
Recall that ADC, on Friday, accused ICPC of blocking access to the former Kaduna State governor, El-Rufai after senior leaders of the party were denied access to him at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
The opposition party said the restrictions surrounding El-Rufai’s detention were raising fresh concerns about political persecution.
Furthermore, ADC noted, there were claims by members of El-Rufai’s family that he had been denied access to doctors, food and visitors despite voluntarily presenting himself to the authorities. Read the full story HERE.
However, Okor Odey, ICPC spokesperson, told The Cable that ADC’s claims were “false and misleading”, as the access denial was in accordance with an existing court order.
Odey said the agency declined the party’s request and communicated the rejection in an official letter dated May 21, 2026, which was acknowledged the following day.
“We wrote them an official letter declining their request to visit. The reasons are in the letter. The category of persons we are to give access is clear in the court order,” Odey said.
In the letter signed by S. Yahaya, director of operations, the ICPC said el-Rufai “is standing trial before the State High Court of Justice, Kaduna, and Federal High Court of Nigeria, both sitting in Kaduna”.
“Though the defendant is in the Commission’s custody by order of both courts, the court is fully seised of the matter,” the letter reads.
“The court has granted access to the defendant to his family, doctors and counsel. These are the only category of persons granted access to see the defendant in the Commission’s custody. Consequently, the application cannot be granted.
“Please accept the assurances of the Hon. Chairman’s best regards.”
Also, Odey explained police presence at the ICPC gate as part of routine security procedure. (Vanguard)

























