

























Loading banners


NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

THERE is anxiety in the air as millions of football-loving Nigerians await the World football governing body, FIFA’s verdict today on the petition filed by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), against the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) over alleged player ineligibility during the 2026 World Cup African playoff final.
Nigeria lost 3-4 on penalties to DRC in Morocco, last November, ending its hopes of direct qualification for the 2026 FIFA World Cup to be co-hosted by the United States of America, Canada and Mexico.
However, the NFF filed a formal complaint on December 15, 2025, claiming that six Congolese players who had recently switched international allegiance were not eligible to feature in the decisive match.
FIFA has been reviewing the petition and is reportedly set to announce its ruling today (Monday, February 16, 2026).
The decision could have major implications for Nigeria’s World Cup campaign. If the NFF’s case is upheld, the Super Eagles would be reinstated into the six-team Intercontinental Play-off scheduled for next month, with a place at the World Cup finals at stake.
NFF General Secretary Dr Mohammed Sanusi had earlier told The Guardian that he is confident in Nigeria’s case, insisting that the federation would not pursue “an exercise in futility.”
“We have a good case,” Sanusi said. “As far as we are concerned, we have a strong case, and we are awaiting FIFA’s decision on the complaints we have lodged.”
Also, the Chairman, National Sports Commission (NSC), Mallam Shehu Dikko, had told The Guardian recently that he was confident in Nigeria getting a favourable verdict against DR Congo.
FIFA’s ruling today will determine whether Nigeria’s World Cup dream is revived or not.
Meanwhile, the DR Congo is said to be relying on the presence of Confederation of African Football (CAF) Secretary General, Véron Mosengo-Omba, a citizen of their country, to help them defeat Nigeria in the case lodged against the country.
According to Sports247, DR Congo is now relying on Mosengo-Omba’s influence to swing FIFA’s decision in their favour, even as observers believe the case could still drag beyond the world football body into the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).
According to the report, Mosengo-Omba, a Swiss-Congolese national born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, who has previously worked as the Chief Member Associations Officer at FIFA before taking the role of CAF’s General Secretary, is also a close associate of FIFA President Gianni Infantino.
“According to very reliable sources, Mosengo-Omba and top football executives from Congo and some Francophone countries are allegedly using their strong influence in FIFA to lobby for a favourable decision in this matter.
“They know the seriousness of the petition and are scared that FIFA could decide in favour of Nigeria based on leaked information and available evidence. His influence in Africa and World football will come in handy for DR Congo,” Sports247 report stated. (The Guardian)