Guinea-Bissau: Jonathan briefs Tinubu, advises ECOWAS leaders on what to do

News Express |30th Nov 2025 | 235
Guinea-Bissau: Jonathan briefs Tinubu, advises ECOWAS leaders on what to do

President Tinubu receives ex-President Jonathan at the Villa yesterday

By MUHYIDEEN JIMOH

Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday briefed President Bola Tinubu on Guinea-Bissau’s political crisis following its disputed presidential election and subsequent military takeover.

‎Jonathan, who led the ECOWAS Observation Mission, said it was customary to update Nigeria’s leader on regional developments ahead of an expected meeting of ECOWAS Heads of State.‎

‎“In ECOWAS, when you return from such assignments, you brief your president so leaders get first-hand information,” Jonathan told State House correspondents after the meeting.‎

‎He said tallying of votes in Guinea-Bissau had been concluded and stressed that the winner of the election must be formally announced.‎

‎Jonathan stressed the urgent need for the regional bloc to prioritise dialogue with the military authorities to prevent instability and avoid the use of force.‎

‎“We’re not pushing out the military by force. People will die. ECOWAS should engage them. They know the right thing to do,” he said.‎

‎He called for the immediate release of the detained opposition candidate, Fernando Diaz, saying he committed no offence and never proclaimed himself winner.‎

‎“There was no reason to arrest him. He didn’t announce himself president. They should free him and announce the result,” Jonathan said.‎

‎Jonathan urged that the declared winner should be inaugurated if the military authorities agree, stating that Africa must move past frequent political crises.‎

‎“We are tired of negative stories. What happened was not a palace coup. It wasn’t even close. I described it as a ceremonial coup,” he added.‎

‎The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Jonathan had returned to Nigeria from Guinea-Bissau on Thursday evening after being briefly trapped by the incident.‎

‎Guinea-Bissau, with a population of about 2.2 million, has experienced recurrent coups and attempted coups since gaining independence from Portugal more than 50 years ago. (NAN)

Comments

Post Comment

Sunday, November 30, 2025 8:30 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025