Ex-Governor Oyetola
The Federal Ministry of Marine and Blue Economy is scrambling to defend its role in the controversial Baro Inland Port project after lawmakers, frustrated by years of inactivity at the site, summoned Minister Adegboyega Oyetola and the head of the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) to explain how billions of naira were spent on a facility that remains idle.
At a heated hearing on Tuesday, the House of Representatives’ Ad-hoc Committee on the Rehabilitation and Operationalisation of the Baro Inland Port described the project as a potential scandal.
“Let’s stop playing games,” said Saidu Abdullahi, the committee chair. “Somebody must take responsibility.”
Lawmakers want proof that the port, commissioned in 2019, was ever operational. They’ve asked the ministry and NIWA to submit contract papers, payment history, and any evidence of cargo movement or accessibility.
In a statement issued after the session, the ministry insisted that no new contracts had been awarded under Oyetola’s watch.
“Any such assertions in the media are inaccurate and should be treated as misinformation,” said Bolaji Akinola, the minister’s media adviser.
The statement emphasised transparency and cooperation with the National Assembly, noting that the Baro Port project predates the current administration. However, it provided no new timelines, figures, or operational plan for the port.
The Port, part of a broader effort to open up Nigeria’s inland waterways, was commissioned in 2019 following investments of over N5 billion, with the promise of easing pressure on coastal ports and unlocking trade access in the north.
But years later, it remains idle.
NIWA officials blamed poor road access, silted waterways, and vandalised rail links.
Oyetola and the Bola Oyebamiji, the managing director of NIWA are expected to appear before the committee in the coming days.
Lawmakers say they won’t settle for oral assurances, demanding documented proof that the Baro Port ever delivered value. (BusinessDay)
NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.