



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Nigerias Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama
Nigeria’s Consul-General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, says more than 600 people have indicated an interest in returning to Nigeria in the wake of the recent xenophobic violence in the South African city. This is 50 per cent more than the about 400 that previously indicated interest inleaving.
At least 12 people – two of them foreigners – have been killed and many others have been injured in the violence. No Nigerian nationals are known to have died.
Mr Adama and his team are still compiling lists of Nigerians who are wanting to return and those whose businesses have been looted, he says, so exact numbers are not yet known.
Two planes belonging to Nigerian carrier Air Peace air to take the first group of returnees to Nigeria on Wednesday, Mr Adama says.
“Nigerians in South African prisons are not part of this arrangement, only a few from the deportation camp,” he adds.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian government will not offer financial help to those who choose to return home.
Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri, told reporters on Monday that the country’s mission in South Africa would continue to offer emergency travel certificates to any Nigerians whose documents have expired.
Ms Dabiri also called for the South African government to pay compensation to any Nigerians affected by the unrest.
Nigeria had earlier sent a special envoy to South Africa to meet with the country’s president.
The envoy, Ahmed Rufai Abubakar, expressed “deep concern” about the recent unrest.
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa “agreed that the violence was most disconcerting and embarrassing,” according to a statement from the Nigerian government.

























