



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Former presidential candidate, Peter Obi, on Tuesday dismissed speculations that former President Goodluck Jonathan could pose a challenge to his 2027 presidential ambition, insisting that his attention remains fixed on rebuilding Nigeria rather than political rivalries.
Obi spoke shortly after completing the presidential screening exercise of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja, a process that lasted more than two hours.
Reacting to reports suggesting that Jonathan could enter the 2027 presidential race on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, Obi said democracy thrives when individuals present themselves for service.
“Actually, I’m not aware of that. But democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for,” Obi said.
“I’m not in any way going around looking for who and who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria,” he added.
The former Labour Party presidential candidate outlined his priorities as national unity, security, economic recovery and anti-corruption reforms, stressing that Nigeria must first become more inclusive and united.
According to him, the country should be governed in line with constitutional provisions on federal character and inclusivity to foster national cohesion.
“The country must be united. The country must be secure. We want to see mothers no longer fear when their children go to school or work. We also want a country where we can travel all over Nigeria without fear,” he stated.
Speaking on the duration of the screening exercise, Obi described the process as evidence of internal democracy and accountability within the NDC.
“This is democracy in action because NDC chooses to do things properly. Nigerians want to know whether you meet the stipulated constitutional qualification and provide relevant documents to back them,” he said.
He added that the exercise was necessary to verify aspirants’ credentials and assess their commitment to national development.
Obi also dismissed reports that he had already emerged as the party’s consensus presidential candidate following consultations with party leaders.
“The party just opened up their expression of interest and nomination forms for people to buy. So there is no consensus yet,” he said.
“Although I bought the forms, I don’t know who else has bought. So until the party says I’m the only one who expressed interest, that’s it.”
The former governor expressed concern over worsening poverty and insecurity in the country, lamenting that many Nigerians struggle daily to survive.
“So many Nigerians today go to bed not knowing where the next meal will come from tomorrow. That must change,” he said.
He further called for stronger measures against corruption, arguing that public resources should serve the collective interest rather than private gain.
“We must live in a country where people do not turn public assets and public wealth into private assets. So we must fight corruption to a standstill and make it work for everybody,” Obi stated.
He also criticised what he described as the growing obsession of politicians with electioneering at the expense of governance.
“Politicians are preoccupied with the next election when Nigerians are dying. That must stop,” he added. (TRIBUNE)

























