Ammunitions recovered by the police
The Ondo State Police Command has arrested no fewer than 100 suspects for kidnapping, armed robbery, cultism and other criminal activities in operations carried out across the 18 local government areas of the state in August.
The State Commissioner of Police, Adebowale Lawal, made this known during a press briefing at the command’s headquarters in Akure, where he outlined the command’s recent achievements in the fight against crime.
Lawal said the arrests cut across various crimes including robbery, kidnapping, cultism, fraud and theft.
In one major operation in Ondo town, he said a 25-year-old man, Nwike Sabbat, was killed and his motorcycle snatched, leading to the arrest of three suspects.
“Recovered exhibits include two cut-to-size barrel guns, one live cartridge, and one expended cartridge,” Lawal said. “Further investigation exposed their arms supplier, Chief Kogbona, 87, from whom ten live cartridges were recovered. This development highlights the Command’s resolve to not only arrest perpetrators but also dismantle their supply chain.”
He added that the suspects – Adeife Adewumi, Matthew Johnson and Diisu Sunday – were apprehended following the killing, with their confessions leading to the recovery of the firearms.
The CP also disclosed that in Ikare Akoko, operatives arrested two suspected kidnappers and neutralised three others during a recent operation, while several fled with gunshot injuries.
“Sequel to the operation, the Command further arrested two additional suspects, Mohammadu Usman, 25, and Mohammed Idrisa, 27,” he explained. “Both suspects have voluntarily confessed to their level of culpability and active involvement in the heinous act. They have also been positively identified by their victim.”
In Akure, the state capital, Lawal said a coordinated raid on criminal hideouts yielded multiple arrests.
“On 27th August 2025, credible intelligence pointed operatives to criminal hideouts in urban Akure. In a coordinated raid, 16 male suspects were arrested,” he stated. “Recovered exhibits include four motorcycles and quantities of substances suspected to be hard drugs. The suspects are currently undergoing profiling to establish their involvement in various crimes.”
The CP noted that the command also intensified its crackdown on vehicle-related crimes. According to him, police recovered five cars whose chassis or VIN numbers had been tampered with, one vehicle bearing a fake/unauthorised NANS plate number, and several others without valid registration or proper documentation.
In Owo, two suspected cultists identified as Adams Precious and Kayode Alana, who were allegedly terrorising the Isuada community, were also arrested.
“The suspects have been transferred to the Anti-Cultism Section for discreet investigation,” Lawal said.
Other notable successes, he added, included the arrest of a suspected fraudster who orchestrated a N10 million scam in Akure, the recovery of stolen goods worth millions of naira, and the arrest of suspects involved in vandalism and theft.
The police commissioner attributed the achievements to the strategic direction of the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, as well as the cooperation of residents.
He assured the public that the command would not relent in its efforts. “The Command will continue to work tirelessly to make Ondo State unsafe for criminals but safe for law-abiding citizens,” Lawal declared.
Meanwhile, relief came in Owo as a staff member of the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Mr. Ayodeji Akesinro, who was abducted by gunmen at Upemen in Owo Local Government Area on Thursday, regained his freedom.
Confirming his release, the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria (AMLSN), Ondo State Branch, expressed gratitude to all who contributed to securing his safe return.
In a statement, the association said: “We are pleased to announce that Pastor Ayodeji Akesinro, a staff member of the Federal Medical Center (FMC) Owo who was abducted in Owo, has been safely released. AMLSN Ondo State Branch expressed gratitude to God Almighty and appreciation to the security agencies, government authorities, colleagues, friends, and well-wishers whose prayers, efforts, and support led to Akesinro’s safe release.” (AriseNews TV)
NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.