ADVERTISEMENT

3.553 million voters for August 16 legislative bye elections

News Express |3rd Aug 2025 | 262
3.553 million voters for August 16 legislative bye elections

Sample of a permanent voter card




About 3,553,659 eligible voters across 6,987 polling units in 12 States, 32 Local Government Areas, and 356 Wards are expected to participate in the August 16 bye-elections into the National and State Houses of Assembly.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) portal for nomination of candidates for the election, which opened on Monday, July 21, automatically shut down on Saturday, July 26, while the final list of candidates was expected to have been published on Friday, August 1, 2025.

By the INEC timetable, campaigns for the bye election was scheduled to kick off on Saturday, August 2, 2025.

Also, the dedicated portal for media coverage of the election closed on the 31st of July, while the commission has already published the list of accredited election observers for the election.

At the time of this report, the commission was yet to release the list of candidates for the election as well as the number of political parties contesting the election.

However, the name of 60 local and 4 foreign election observers including the European Union delegation has been published by the commission to monitor the election.

Election is expected to be conducted in two Senatorial districts in Edo and Anambra and five Federal Constituencies in Edo, Ogun, Kaduna, Jigawa and Oyo.

Edo central senatorial district became vacant as a result of the resignation of Senator Monday Okpebholo to contest the Governorship election in Edo state, while Anambra South senatorial district became vacant as a result of the death of Senator Ifeanyi Uba.

Also, while the Ovia Federal Constituencies of Edo state became vacant as a result of resignation by Danis Idahosa to contest as the Deputy Governor of Edo state, Ibadan North (Oyo state), Chikun/Kajuru (Kaduna state), Bakura/Garki (Jigawa state) and Ikene/Shagamu/Remo North federal constituencies became vacant as a result of the death of the lawmakers.

The election into state Houses of Assembly will also be conducted in Kogi, Zamfara, Niger, Taraba, Adamawa, Kano, Anambra and Kaduna States.

The Nation gathered that the Julius Abure-led faction of the Labour Party has threatened to go to court to challenge it’s exclusion from the process leading to the Elections, but the alleged exclusion could not be confirmed last night as officials told The Nation to await the final list of candidates for the election.

Earlier, the Commission had warned political parties against making careless mistakes in the nomination and submission of candidates for the various elections, saying such mistakes could be detrimental to both the parties and their candidates.

National Commissioner and Chairperson of the Legal Services, Clearance and Complaints Committee (LSC&CC), Mrs. May Agbamuche-Mbu gave the warning at a two-day refresher training workshop on using the INEC Candidate Nomination Portal (ICNP) for party officials.

She said “Nomination of candidates is not only a statutory obligation as provided in Section 29 of the Electoral Act, 2022, but it is the very foundation upon which elections are conducted. An error in the submission of personal particulars of candidates by political parties can be potentially detrimental to both the party and its candidate.”

The National Commissioner stressed that despite the progress made so far with the ICNP in reducing paperwork and improving compliance, political parties still face challenges such as incomplete form submissions, improper document attachments, and frequent turnover of personnel managing the nomination process.

“This refresher training is designed to bridge those gaps and ensure that both returning and newly appointed party officials have the knowledge and skills necessary for a smooth nomination process,” she added.

The Nation also gathered that the Commission has received assurance of adequate security for the election from the office of the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu

At a recent meeting of the Interagency Consultative Committee on Election Security, Ribadu said the security agents will, among other things, intensify intelligence efforts to monitor and preempt any threats to elections and provide real-time intelligence to enable the implementation of proactive measures.

He was speaking through the Director Internal Security, in his office, Hassan Y. Abdullahi, at the second quarterly consultative meeting of the Interagency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES).

The assurance came as a result of security concerns raised by the Commission Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.

Ribadu said collaborative efforts between security agencies and the commission have been the mainstay of maintaining peace and order during the election. (The Nation)




Comments

Post Comment

Rapper Falz announces engagement to fiancée

Rapper Falz announces engagement to fiancée

 No plans to dump NNPP for another party — Kwankwaso

No plans to dump NNPP for another party — Kwankwaso

Davido, Burna Boy, Shallipopi Lead AFRIMA 2025 Nominations as Lagos Prepares to Host Africa’s Biggest Music Celebration

Davido, Burna Boy, Shallipopi Lead AFRIMA 2025 Nominations as Lagos Prepares to Host Africa’s Biggest Music Celebration

End of an era: Billions of packages of ‘cheap’ goods shipped to the US are now subject to steep tariffs

End of an era: Billions of packages of ‘cheap’ goods shipped to the US are now subject to steep tariffs

‘TikTok for Artistes’ launches in Nigeria to support artiste growth and fan engagement

‘TikTok for Artistes’ launches in Nigeria to support artiste growth and fan engagement

Rivers: Bode George warns against extension of emergency rule beyond Sept 18

Rivers: Bode George warns against extension of emergency rule beyond Sept 18

NCAA launches Service Charter, commits to transparency, accountability

NCAA launches Service Charter, commits to transparency, accountability

Ex-VP hands over Yola property, former Adamawa PDP office to ADC

Ex-VP hands over Yola property, former Adamawa PDP office to ADC

Gulfstream Delivers First Longest Range Business Jet in the World

Gulfstream Delivers First Longest Range Business Jet in the World

Excess crude account shrinks to $535,823 as NEC orders accelerated reforms

Excess crude account shrinks to $535,823 as NEC orders accelerated reforms

Dangote ends West Africa’s fuel import dependence, emerges region’s key diesel, jet fuel supplier

Dangote ends West Africa’s fuel import dependence, emerges region’s key diesel, jet fuel supplier

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies

Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies

FG targets 25% contribution from ICT sector to GDP by 2030

FG targets 25% contribution from ICT sector to GDP by 2030

Governor Adeleke flags off enrolment of inmates into Osun health insurance scheme

Governor Adeleke flags off enrolment of inmates into Osun health insurance scheme

Trent Alexander-Arnold, PSG, Barcelona and the winners & losers of the 2025-26 Champions League draw

Trent Alexander-Arnold, PSG, Barcelona and the winners & losers of the 2025-26 Champions League draw

May, Obioma, Olugbile emerge as finalists of the Nigeria Prize for Literature, 2025

May, Obioma, Olugbile emerge as finalists of the Nigeria Prize for Literature, 2025

Amusan withdraws from Diamond League final

Amusan withdraws from Diamond League final

 Ex-champ McGirt tips Joshua to beat Usyk

Ex-champ McGirt tips Joshua to beat Usyk

Xi shows Trump who holds the cards as he sets up meeting with Kim and Putin

Xi shows Trump who holds the cards as he sets up meeting with Kim and Putin

Friday, August 29, 2025 10:46 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025