



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Gov Okpebholo
The Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, has raised concerns over the alarming presence of over 5,000 illegal arms in the hands of thugs and touts across the state.
The governor, in a statement by his spokesperson, Fred Itua, attributed the rising insecurity in Edo to the proliferation of illegal arms, allegedly distributed to criminal elements by the ruling party during the 2024 governorship election.
According to him, many of these armed individuals were previously recruited into the State Security Network under the past administration.
He, however, said instead of relinquishing their weapons, they have now resorted to robbery, kidnapping, and violent attacks.
He called on security agencies to track down the armed criminals and their sponsors, ensuring they are brought to justice.
?No individual, regardless of political affiliation, is above the law. Under my leadership, Edo State will not tolerate any attempt to destabilise the peace and security of our people,? Okpebholo said.
He also urged law enforcement agencies to act swiftly in recovering all illegally possessed firearms and holding those responsible for the insecurity accountable.
In response, the People?s Democratic Party (PDP) dismissed Okpebholo?s claims, accusing him of failing to manage the state?s security situation.
In a statement by its Publicity Secretary, Chris Nehikare, the PDP described the governor?s remarks as shameful and disappointing, urging him to focus on governance rather than blaming the opposition.
?If Okpebholo is truly serious about governance and protecting lives, he must stop the blame game and put to good use his monthly N750 million security votes,? Nehikare stated.
The PDP also insisted that it handed over a stable and secure state to Okpebholo and criticised him for continuing to blame former Governor Godwin Obaseki instead of addressing the current security crisis.
?It is irresponsible for Okpebholo to keep looking backwards, trying to blame Obaseki for his incompetence, cluelessness, and failure in government,? the party added. (Daily Trust)

























