



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


























Loading banners
Loading banners...


Abia State Police Public Relations Officer PPRO, Maureen Chilaka
The Abia State Police Command has launched an investigation into the alleged discovery of 30 bodies suspected to be victims of ritual killings in the Imo River, Oriendu Community.
This follows an alarm raised by the traditional ruler of the community, HRH Eze Philip Ajomuiwe, who reported that over 30 bodies had been dumped into the river between 2024 and February 2025.
Speaking with Vanguard on Monday, Abia State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Maureen Chilaka, confirmed that the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Ohuhu Police Division had begun investigating the incident.
She stated that the community shares a boundary with Imo State, and the police are collaborating with local vigilantes to uncover those responsible for the heinous act.
?Although there has been no official complaint to the police regarding this matter, the Command has initiated an investigation based on inquiries from Vanguard,? Chilaka said.
She assured that those responsible would be brought to justice.
During a press briefing at his palace over the weekend, Eze Ajomuiwe revealed that the bodies, mostly young women, were found naked and mutilated, with some missing their private parts.
?The victims are mostly young girls. The ritualists from Imo usually come at night to dump the bodies into the Imo River. By morning, we wake up to see them floating in the water,? the monarch said.
According to him, in some cases, the bodies were tied in bags or found decomposing near the NNPC pipeline.
He expressed frustration over the lack of arrests by security agencies and said his people now live in fear.
The community vigilante group has made several attempts to capture the suspects but has been unsuccessful.
?Our vigilantes are not as well-equipped as these criminals. We need the state government to provide them with the necessary logistics and support to combat this menace,? Eze Ajomuiwe pleaded.
He added that those responsible for these killings appear to be heavily armed and ready to retaliate if confronted.
The traditional ruler disclosed that he had repeatedly reported the situation to security agencies, including the DSS, but no concrete action had been taken.
His latest appeal was a letter sent to the Speaker of the State House of Assembly on February 7, urging urgent intervention.
?We need the government?s help to apprehend those behind this atrocity,? he emphasized.
The police investigation is currently ongoing, and the community awaits decisive action to put an end to these gruesome killings. (Vanguard)