



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Boko Haram
Many have been stranded since Sunday on Damaturu-Maiduguri road as suspected Boko Haram insurgents launched attacks on nearby communities.
A Maiduguri resident who had gone to Damaturu claimed the road had been shut since Sunday morning, TheCable reported on Monday.
He said many travellers were unable to return to their stations.
“We were supposed to return to Maiduguri but we’ve been stranded here in Damaturu because no vehicle is allowed to use that road now.
“The time we left Maiduguri for Damaturu, we could feel the presence of the insurgents as we heard that some motorists have been earlier attacked.
“Although the military has marched into this area, we believe hundreds of the insurgents are still within the bushy villages along this axis, hiding.”
Another source in Damaturu told TheCable that transport workers in the affected areas moved their vehicles from the park for fear of attacks.
The source said: “The insurgents have been launching fresh attacks these days, and we are worried.
“Within the town, we are careful of how and where we move to. It appears as if the insurgents have infiltrated the major towns.”
It was learnt that was an exchange of fire early yesterday between the army and the insurgents in Jakana village in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State.
Jakana is one of the communities along the Damaturu-Maiduguri axis.
Sagir Musa, army’s spokesperson, was not available to comment on the matter.
Soldiers deployed in the area, however, told TheCable that things would be brought under control.
“The troops are pushing them off to the bush, and hopefully the road should be reopened later on Monday” one of the soldiers said. (The Nation)


