



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Department of State
Services (DSS) has debunked the widely publicised allegations by sections of
the media that it is illegally detaining some Nigerians.
In a statement sent to
Daily Independent, on Tuesday, which was signed by Peter Afunanya, Public
Relations Officer (PRO), DSS, National Headquarters, Abuja, the Service said,
Abubakar Idris also known as (Dadiyata) and Agba Jalingo said to have been
arrested in Kaduna and the Cross River States respectively by the Service are
not in their custody.
According to the DSS
statement which specifically mentioned the Punch and Daily Trust Newspapers’
publications of 6th and 29th December 2019, it described as “wild” the
allegations that over 50 suspects are being held by the Service under
excruciating conditions and “routinely tortured.”
It said; “Our attention
has been drawn to serial Punch Newspaper’s wild allegation in its publications
of 6th and 29th December 2019 that over 50 suspects are being held by the
Service under excruciating conditions and “routinely tortured.
“These allegations, to
say the least, are spurious and can only be taken for what they are –
deliberate and subversive campaigns of calumny to undermine the Service and
cast it in bad light before the public.
“That Idris was taken away
from his house by some armed men does not suggest that those men were DSS
staff. It was expected that Daily Trust and Punch should have properly
conducted their investigations before holding the Service responsible for the
acts it did not commit.”
For the sake of
emphasis, the Service noted that it has no reason to deny its arrest and
detention of suspects if actually it carried out operations during which such
persons were arrested.
Adding that, it is not
out of place for security and law enforcement agencies to arrest and detain
lawbreakers or those suspected to be.
“The arrest and
detention of suspects are procedural and undergo continuous review. In certain
conditions, some are routinely questioned and released while others are granted
administrative bail. Some who are still under investigation or already undergoing
prosecution are held on the basis of Court orders.
“Suspect handling is a
critical aspect of the Service’s responsibility and this is taken seriously
without any form of compromise.
“It diligently carries
out this function in strict compliance with the criminal justice administration
system and intelligence governance procedures absolutely necessary for
consolidating democratic ideals in Nigeria.
“It is, however,
important to state that suspects in the Service’s detention are not “routinely
tortured”. Such accusation by the Punch or any other media outfit for that
matter is only an imaginary creation of the concerned newspapers.”
The DSS, therefore,
expressed disappointment that the Daily Trust and Punch would use screaming and
sensational headlines to negatively profile the Service.
“For instance, the Daily
Trust in one of its features of 31st December 2019, reported that “Four Months
after, Family drags DSS to Court over Missing Activist”.
“In the same vein, the
Punch Newspaper had earlier on 29th December, 2019 used “Sad Tales of Other
Illegal Detainees Trigger Concerns”.
In these misleading
accounts, the Newspapers under reference reeled out falsehood against the
Service. The Daily Trust Newspaper did not even believe some of the inquiries
it had made from both the Kaduna Commands of the Service and the Police which
had shown that Idris was not held by the Service.
“Furthermore, the
newspapers have not brought forward any evidence (s) to the contrary that the
suspects so referred in their write-ups are in DSS custody.
“The style so far
adopted by these two otherwise respected newspapers negates the ethics of
professional media practice.
“Their positions and
similar ones suggest that the country should probably be left lawless, chaotic
and allowed to be taken over by criminals while the agencies go to slumber for
fear of being unduly castigated or maligned.
“The Service is a
professional body and a major stakeholder in Nigeria’s democratic governance.
Its operations are guided by strict rules and procedures. It is mindful of the
rights of citizens and will, however, continue to perform its statutory roles
without let or fear.
“It will hinge such
practice on the rule of law, respect for citizens’ rights and support for
constituted authorities.”
It further stated that
the Punch and Daily Trust will not engage in any acts that are capable of
undermining national security and as such, patriotically recommit themselves
and with a deep sense of responsibility, to the pursuit of peace and order.
The Service, however, reiterated
its dedication to a robust collaboration with stakeholders, especially the
media, but wishes to categorically state that it will, henceforth, “not condone
acts of misrepresentation and falsehood against it and in this regard, will
explore legal options to seek redress.” (Independent)

