



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.


Two traffic officers and a policeman lost their lives in
Apapa, Lagos since the Federal Government commenced an initiative to restore
smooth traffic in the area.
Mr Kayode Opeifa, Executive Vice-Chairman of the
Presidential Taskforce on Apapa Restoration of Law and Order in Apapa, made the
disclosure on Tuesday in Lagos.
Opeifa was speaking when he paid a courtesy visit to the
Lagos Office of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
He said that several people, including himself had at one
time or the other sustained various degrees of injuries in the course of trying
to bring sanity to Apapa, which had been on traffic lockdown over the years.
“It is not good to announce it but we have recorded fatalities.
I am afraid saying it because it will always be on the headlines.
“I am also a victim of an accident in the course of
discharging my duties and I was lucky to escape with a damaged vehicle.
“The first day we started the restoration of law and order,
we lost a LASTMA officer by accident. A truck was reversing and the LASTMA lady
was behind.
“Recently, we lost another LASTMA officer who was stoned to
death. We also lost a police officer, who was crushed. We have several people
that were hit, including myself.
“My vehicle was hit but thank God nobody died. The vehicle
was almost a write-off.
“This type of development happens continuously. There were
very terrible ones where people were losing limbs and losing their hands,”
Opeifa said.
On the number of people arrested in the course of the
restoration, Opeifa said he had lost count, disclosing, however, that over 120
traffic violators were arrested on the first day of the operation.
He said the main focus of the team was not to pick trucks as
there was nowhere to put them after arrests were made.
On the team’s plans for 2020, Opeifa said: “we are not
supposed to be here by 2020.
“The Lagos State Government is supposed to take over traffic
management.”
The one-time Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation frowned
at attacks on traffic management operatives, especially LASTMA officers.
On the achievement of the taskforce, he noted that
stakeholders had done the rating and concluded that the situation had never
been that good in the axis.
“Our job is to remove stationary trucks and we have removed
them. I challenge any trucker, who claims he spends days on the road to come
out and speak up.
“Our job is to get trailers off the roads and make the roads
open. Occasionally, there are incidences which the Lagos State Government
bears.”
According to him, the ports are handling more cargo than
their capacity.
He said there must be an upgrade of port facilities, while
the regulators must keenly monitor activities.
Commenting on the endless menace of articulated vehicles on
Lagos roads, Opeifa said: they are not road worthy, they break down easily.
“There is a need for more collaboration among stakeholders
operating at Apapa Ports to restore law and order in the Apapa area
permanently. (The Nation)
