



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Chairman Nigeria Governors' Forum, Kayode Fayemi
Barely two days to the deadline given by the Nigeria
Organised Labour to states to conclude negotiations on the implementation of
the N30,000 new National Minimum Wage, some state governors have started a
last-minute rush to meet the cut-off date of the labour union.
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) had in a communiqué issued
at the end of its meeting with the state council chairmen last week said it
would not be able to guarantee industrial peace and harmony in states that
failed to conclude negotiations and began payment of the new minimum wage by
December 31, 2019.
In the communiqué, which was jointly signed by the NLC
President, Ayuba Wabba; General Secretary, Emmanuel Ugboaja; and the National
Chairperson of the Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council (Trade
Union side), Simon Anchaver; the NLC said states that had yet to commence
negotiation might experience industrial disharmony from January if the
governors refuse to do the needful.
As of the said date, the NLC noted that while states like
Kaduna, Lagos, Kebbi and Adamawa had begun payment, some others like Kano, Abia
and about nine others had constituted negotiating committees. Others like
Rivers, Ogun, Delta, Plateau, Gombe and about 14 others had yet to set up a
negotiating committees.
The new minimum wage Act was signed into law on April 18,
2019, by President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, while Cross River, Taraba, and Ondo states have set
up committees to negotiate with the unions before the deadline, Oyo, Gombe and
Imo states have not shown commitment to meet up with the deadline.
Also, Benue, Enugu, Bayelsa and Ebonyi states have ruled out
the possibility of meeting up with the deadline.
Kwara State
In Kwara State, Mr Rafiu Ajakaye, the Chief Press Secretary
to Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, said the governor had shown commitment to
meeting the deadline by constituting the minimum wage 15-member committee
earlier to work out the modalities for the implementation of the new minimum
wage.
Also, a member of the implementation committee and state
Chairman of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Mr Kolawole Olumoh, last week,
said: “We have commenced negotiations with the state government and Insha
Allah, we are going to meet the deadline. Though some states, including Kwara,
have paid the December salaries of their workers, since we have commenced
negotiations in our case, I’m sure we are going to meet the deadline.”
Delta State
In Delta State, the Commissioner for Finance, Mr Fidelis
Tilije, promised that the committee would conclude seating on the matter by
Tuesday (December 31).
He said, “We have been meeting and already negotiating with
labour. I’m so sure by Monday or Tuesday, we must have resolved completely, and
should be able to come up with the final agreed minimum wage pay for Delta
State.”
Also, the state Secretary of NLC, Mr Innocent Ofoeyeadi,
said, “We are engaged in dialogue with the committee of the state government
and they would have to pay the new minimum wage this December. But because of
the issues of figures in the proposal, it will not reflect until we resolve
them.”
Edo State
In Edo State, Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and
Communication Strategy, Crusoe Osagie, said the state government had already
set up a committee on the implementation of the salary scale.
Meanwhile, the NLC chairman in the state, Mr Sunny Osayande,
said there was no cause for alarm, adding that they were praying for the
governor to be able to implement the new scale in December.
He added, “The governor is working seriously I must confess
to you even though he is not talking. By the grace of God, Edo will meet the
December 31 deadline with the work ongoing right now in the state. We have met
him already and he has assured us.
“He said they should work out how much is involved and we
discovered that what we are going to add to it is going to be very minimal, so
there is no cause for alarm,” he said.
Katsina State
In Katsina State, the Special Adviser to the Governor on
Labour and Productivity, Mallam Tanimu Saulawa, said the state was optimistic
about the fruitful outcome of its current negotiation with the state chapter of
the NLC before the December 31 deadline.
Saulawa said, “The deadline has not come. We are still
discussing with the workers. We do not envisage any problem over the minimum
wage issue. Do not forget that His Excellency is workers’ friendly and he does
not joke with issues concerning workers.
“We have a committee that is discussing with the workers and
anything can happen between now and the end of December. But I am sure that by
the grace of God, everything will be positive.”
The state chairman of the NLC, Mr Hussaini Hamisu, also said
he was hopeful of a fruitful outcome on the current negotiation between labour
and the government.
“We are going to conclude the negotiations before the
deadline. We hope that the whole thing will be fruitful,” he added.
Ogun State
Also, the Ogun State NLC Chairman, Emmanuel Bankole, said
negotiation was ongoing with the state government, adding that the state would
meet up with the deadline.
When asked if labour would extend the December 31 deadline
for negotiation to be concluded due to the delay in constituting the committee,
Bankole said it might not be necessary.
“Negotiation is in progress; we just left the committee now,
it is ongoing and we are hopeful that we can still conclude it by December 31,”
he added.
Borno State
In Borno State, the chairman of NLC, Mr Bulama Abiso, also
expressed hope that negotiations would be concluded before the deadline.
“We are negotiating and very much hopeful of the fruitful
outcome. Therefore, the issue of starting an industrial action does not arise
for now,” he added.
Osun State
In Osun State, the Chairman of the Joint Negotiation
Council, Bayo Adejumo, said the December 31 deadline could still be met.
He added, “Osun State government has shown willingness. They
recently requested for names of labour negotiating team and we have submitted
that. I believe they are also putting together their team. Before the end of
the month, negotiation will commence and I believe the negotiation will not
take a long time.”
The Chief Press Secretary to Governor Adegboyega Oyetola,
Ismail Omipidan, could not be reached and the text messages sent to him were
not responded to as of press time.
Enugu State
Also in Enugu, the state chairman of Joint Public Service
Negotiating Council, Mr Chukwuma Igbokwe, said the December 31 deadline was
just a template but that they would conclude negotiation before January 31,
2020.
The Commissioner for Information, Chidi Aroh, neither
answered his calls nor responded to a text message sent to his mobile phone.
Taraba State
In Taraba, the state Chairman of NLC, Mr Peter Gambo, said
the organised labour was worried over the delay by the state government in
setting up the negotiation team.
But, the Special Assistant to Governor Darius Ishaku on
Media and Publicity, Mr Bala Dan-Abu, said the government was not opposed to
the negotiation. He said the committee would soon be constituted.
Imo State
In Imo State, the Secretary to the State Government, Uche
Onyeagocha, said the governor would inaugurate the joint negotiation committee
before the December 31 deadline.
Ondo State
In Ondo State, chairman of NLC, Mr Sunday Adeleye, said a
meeting had been scheduled for Monday, adding that if the meeting was
deadlocked again, the unions would make their next line of action known.
The Head of Service, Mr Dare Aragbaiye, who is the leader of
the government team, could not be reached on Friday.
Cross River State
In Cross River State, the Vice-Chairman of NLC, Mr Lawrence
Achuta, said, “We have not held any meeting on that. Hopefully, before the end
of the year, we may likely have a state executive council meeting after which
we will decide. So, we are just hoping that perhaps before that December 31
something positive will come up.”
The Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to Governor Ben
Ayade, Mr Christian Ita, however, said, “I’m not sure there is an issue to it
because if there was an issue to it, you will see labour agitating.”
Bayelsa State
In Bayelsa State, the NLC chairman, Mr John Ndiomu, said the
organised labour would take it up with the government if at the end of January
2020 the new scale was not implemented. “By January 2020, if they (the state
government) don’t pay, we will make small trouble with them,” Ndiomu said.
Ebonyi State
In Ebonyi State, the NLC chairman, Mr Nwafor, said the state
government’s claim that it had negotiated the minimum wage with workers was a
lie.
“Of course, we are not aware of the negotiations and don’t
know the people that it (government) signed the agreement with.
“So, if after looking at what they had done and it’s right,
we will adopt it; but if it’s wrong, we will join others and embark on the
imminent strike.”
Oyo State
Meanwhile, in Oyo State, the NLC Chairman, Mr Bayo
Titilola-Sodo, said he would not speculate on whether Oyo State workers would
embark on strike or not by December 31 if the state government did not start
the implementation. He, however, said the union would liaise with the national
body when the right was right.
The Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr Taiwo
Adisa, said: “The governor had made it clear that we are going to get the
matter resolved and the labour has keyed into that because of the sincerity of
purpose and transparency they have found in this government.”
Gombe State
In Gombe State, the Secretary of NLC, Shuaibu Chiroma, said
negotiations would commence on December 30 (Monday), adding that final
decisions would be taken on Tuesday.
But the Special Adviser to the Gombe State Governor on
Public Communications and Strategy, Dr Anas Kubalu, said, “The government has
inserted the minimum wage and consequential adjustment to the issue of salary
in the 2020 budget.”
Speaking on the development, the Secretary-General of Trade
Union Congress (TUC), Musa-Lawal Ozigi, said any governor that fails to
implement or show commitment before the Tuesday deadline would be deemed to
have declared war against labour.
Ozigi added that the organised labour would decide on how to
handle recalcitrant state governors who fail to implement the new wage at the
end of the December 31 deadline.
“Most states are working hard. Let us see how they go. The
deadline does not mean that if it expires, we will take action immediately. It
simply means that the grace period is over, and anything can happen thereafter.
“In other words, when you give a deadline or an ultimatum,
once it expires, it does not mean you will take action immediately.
“It simply means that the grace period given to the
government is over. From that moment, you will not be held for any action.
“On the minimum wage, we are also watching. I can assure you
that by the end of this week, if any state governor has not done anything
relating to the minimum wage, he has only declared war against labour and we
know what to do.
“We are listening to every state to know exactly what is
happening so that it will give us the opportunity to prepare for the worst case
ahead.
“We know most states have started, especially in the north
and south. But by Tuesday, we would have been able to gather our data to know
the next line of action.”
He added that even if some states have set up their
committee to ensure that within one week they finish, that means they also have
that Tuesday (deadline) in mind.
The secretary-general also urged any state governor who
cannot pay the new minimum wage to quit, saying it was too late for state
governors to use
The secretary-general also urged any state governor who
cannot pay the new minimum wage to quit, saying it was too late for state
governors to use the call for a review for revenue sharing formula as an excuse
not to pay the new minimum wage.
“Any governor that feels he can use that (revenue formula)
as an excuse to pay is calling for labour action.
“We do not want to pre-empt anybody, but we have told them
very clearly it is either you do what is right or stay out of power and let
somebody who can do it come there, and we have not changed the position.
“Any governor that is not prepared to pay minimum wage has
no business in government.
“That is the basic principle on which we stand, and from
Tuesday, you will see reaction.
“But I can assure you it will not be immediate because we
need to go back to our people (labour leaders) to decide what kind of plan we
are going to use to deal with that kind of governor.” (The Nation)

















.webp&w=256&q=75)







