



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

The Port Harcourt
Electricity Distribution Company (PHEDC), on Thursday, sought the resolution of
the conflict which resulted in shutdown of its operations and subsequent
blackout on Monday.
The Ijaw Youths
Council (IYC) had on December 23, invaded the offices of the PHEDC besieged the
offices of the power distribution company and forced the staff to ground
operations and occupied the premises.
The development
resulted to power outage in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, and its
environs including Ahoada and parts of Rivers State.
Mr John Onyi, Manager,
Corporate Communication, PHEDC said on Thursday that the development had taken
a negative toll on the utility company.
He regretted that
Ahoada community also shut down PHED office in the area leading to total
blackout in the ancient town compelling its customers to have a ‘black
Christmas’.
“Members of PHED staff
are now living in palpable fear as their lives have been threatened by the IYC
who warned them not to be spotted around the offices, claiming that it has
taken over PHED offices in Yenagoa.
“In addition, the IYC
threatened that any vehicle belonging to PHED spotted in the city would not
only be seized and impounded but have the driver of such vehicle assaulted.
“The IYC according to
its leadership is demanding for 24/7 power supply and removal of breakers to
enable the residents of Yenagoa have uninterrupted power supply.
“At various meetings
previously held with the IYC, PHED had made its position known that the
installation of breakers was for administrative convenience of the company and
also not to jeopardise the life span of the equipment.
“On 24/7 power supply,
the IYC has repeatedly been told that the limitation from the national grid
does not allow that for now and PHED gets its share based on what is generated.
“The responsibility of
PHED for the umpteenth time is to distribute what it gets to its customers in
Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River and Rivers states.
“Yenagoa is NOT
marginalised in terms of power supply as alleged by the Ijaw Youth Council but
it is a common knowledge that every disco including PHED does systematic load
shedding.
“However, the
sustainability of not only PHED but the power sector depends on payment of
electricity bill from the customers,” Onyi explained.
He bemoaned the high
debt profile stifling the company saying that as at November 30,
2019customers in Bayelsa owed PHEDC about N16.5 billion, a
development that hampers operations.
“PHED is not at war
with any of its customers or indeed the IYC but where a group of persons
decides to take laws into their hands by barricading and chasing staff members
away from performing their legitimate duties, then it calls for a serious
concern.
“We therefore, call on
relevant government functionaries and security agencies to prevail on the IYC
to vacate PHED offices.
“On the other hand,
Ahoada community did not only shut down office but damaged all items including
office materials in addition, to seizing its operational vehicles totaling
two,” Onyi said.
He said that although
talks were underway with a view to a resolution it is becoming one protest, too
many at the slightest power outage without corresponding payment.
Onyi recalled that
PHEDC had witnessed series of protests in its franchise area despite its effort
in improving service delivery by introducing several initiatives in midst of
numerous industry challenges.
However, Mr Ken
Olorogun, Chairman of the Central Zone of IYC, said in a telephone chat that
IYC was already in talks with PHEDC and Bayelsa Government on the development.
He said that the youth
group was dissatisfied with the performance of the utility firm adding that
there was no basis for using estimated billing to arrive at bogus figures when
there is no corresponding supply.
His words: “Our
position is that PHEDC should be alive to its responsibility of making power
available to our people, and our resolve is total, the only thing we can do is
to shift the date forward by suspending the current action till next year.
“The argument of N15.5bn
is a blackmail, we cannot be paying based on estimates when there is no power,
even the regulators have outlawed estimated billing so how did they arrive at
the figures?
“I can tell you that
we have been in talks and going by the intervention of stakeholders, we are
going for another meeting soon where we may take decisions to suspend the
current action.”

















.webp&w=256&q=75)







