



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

No
fewer than 53,674 teachers, who wrote the December Diet of the Teachers’
Professional Qualifying Examination (PQE), have qualified to register for
teaching licenses.
Prof.
Josiah Ajiboye, the Registrar, Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria
(TRCN), disclosed this in Abuja on in an interview with the News Agency of
Nigeria (NAN).
NAN recalls
that the examination, which was conducted in 47 centres across the country,
started on Dec. 5 in states with large number of candidates, and ended on Dec.
7.
Ajiboye
said that the results had been approved by the Governing Council of TRCN,
adding that 72,947, out of 77,296 teachers that registered, participated in the
examination.
“The
result was not bad, because the average performance of those who passed the
examination is 73.58 per cent, which is 53,674 candidates, while 26.42 per
cent, representing 19,273 candidates, failed.
“The
performances of the candidates are very encouraging; the Federal Ministry of
Education and TRCN Governing Board are happy with it,” he said.
He said
that, though PQE was not an achievement test, it was important to ensure that
an individual registered as a professional teacher.
Ajiboye
explained that the council would not issue teaching certificate and license to
any teacher without writing the examination.
“The
deadline of Dec. 31 is still certain but it does not mean the PQE has stopped.
It has come to stay.
“We are
planning to be organising the exams for teachers on quarterly basis to help
more teachers to enrol, instead of writing twice in a year.
“We
must have committed and qualified teachers; we also want to ensure that the
teaching environment is in order,” he said.
He added
that those who failed any diet have the opportunity to re-enroll and re-write
the examination with the next set.
“Those
who also passed should go ahead to register at the centre close to them to be
able to get their certificates and licences as qualified teachers,” he said.
Ajiboye
gave the assurance that TRCN would not back down on its position to flush out
unregistered or unqualified teachers out of the education system by Dec. 31.
“It is
not only TRCN’s position, but the position of National Council on Education and
it has to be implemented.
“We
will make sure we enforce the law and by January 2020, we will begin to move
around for enforcement,” he said. (NAN)

























