



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.
.jpg&w=1200&q=75)
Senate President Ahmed Lawan
Senate President Ahmad Lawan on Monday said the Nigerian National Assembly will approve the $29.96 billion loan request by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Lawan gave the assurance while addressing journalists in Abuja.
He, however, said the Senate will ensure the $30 billion loan is utilised for projects it was requested for.
“We are going to be critical that every cent that is borrowed is tied to a project,” Lawan said.
President Muhammadu Buhari last month requested the approval of the Senate for the Federal Government’s 2016 and 2018 borrowing plan which amounts to $30 billion.
The request was the second time the Nigerian president sought Senate’s approval for the $30 billion loan.
Buhari first sought the approval of the House of Representatives for the borrowing plan in October 2016. It was however turned down by the Bukola Saraki led Senate.
Saraki said further borrowing will plunge the country into more debts.
Lawan, however, said the loan was rejected because it lacked some details.
“In 2016, there were no sufficient details,” Lawan said, “the executive has learnt its lessons.”
Lawan said Buhari had provided necessary details of the loan in the new request. {The Guardian]

























