ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.



















.webp)





Loading banners
Loading banners...


Two children were feared dead and several others hospitalised after a heavy downpour triggered building collapses and flooding in Gandun Sarki community, Malam Madori Local Government Area of Jigawa State.
The downpour, which lasted for more than an hour last Thursday night, ripped through parts of Hadejia Senatorial District, leaving a trail of destruction across homes and farmlands.
Reports gathered from the area indicated that more than 20 houses collapsed during the rain.
It added that several other homes were either submerged by floodwaters or surrounded by them, forcing families to flee.
Giving details to a PUNCH correspondent on Friday, community members said the rain fell late at night and caught many residents asleep.
According to eyewitness accounts, a building in Gandun Sarki caved in during the early hours, trapping occupants inside.
Mr Sama’ila, the father of the victims, told journalists that the room collapsed while his children were sleeping.
“My two children, aged 5 and 8, died in the incident. Other female members of the family were rushed to Hadejia General Hospital,” he said.
He added that the injured were currently receiving treatment at the hospital.
One of the affected residents, Sani Abubakar, said his entire house was destroyed by the flood.
He appealed to the Jigawa State Government to come to their aid.
“We have lost everything. Government should please help us with shelter and relief materials,” Abubakar said.
The community leader, Malam Jamilu Bulama, confirmed the incident to newsmen on Friday, saying, “I had ordered my aides to compile a full list of those affected in Gandun Sarki and nearby areas.”
“The names of all victims will be documented and forwarded to the appropriate authorities,” Bulama stated.
He noted that the damage could have been worse but for drainage systems and culverts built by the state government last year.
“Those structures helped channel some of the water and reduced the impact in parts of the community,” he added.
Despite the scale of the disaster, relevant agencies in the state were yet to speak on the incident as of Friday evening.
The Jigawa State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, had not issued any official statement on the house collapses and flooding.
However, the Hadejia Zonal Public Relations Officer, Musa Muhammad, confirmed the incident to newsmen on Friday.
“The incident happened in Gandun Sarki, Malam Madori LGA during Thursday’s heavy rain. We are aware of the casualties and damage to houses,” Muhammad said, adding that “the zonal office was monitoring the situation.”
Background checks show that Jigawa experiences similar flooding almost every rainy season, as many towns and villages along waterways, including major cities, are often hit due to poor drainage and blocked culverts.
In several communities, indiscriminately dumped waste blocks water channels, worsening flooding whenever it rains heavily. (PUNCH)