ADUpdating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.



















.webp)






Loading banners
Loading banners...


FCT CP Ahmed Sanusi
By MONDAY IJEH
The Police Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has arrested 30 suspects over traffic robbery and violations in the territory.
The Commissioner of Police (CP) in charge of the FCT, Mr Ahmed Sanusi, said this at a news conference on Wednesday in Abuja.
Sanusi said 10 of the suspects were arrested over traffic robbery while 20 were arrested over traffic violations, especially “one way” drive.
He explained that the 10 traffic robbers were arrested on Aug. 16, following complaints from the public over criminal activities of traffic robbers who sometimes disguised as hawkers along congested roads and traffic stops.
According to the CP, upon getting the report, I directed all Divisional Police Officers particularly those within the city centre to ensure the evacuation of such persons from our roads.
He added that the 10 suspects arrested following the directive were currently in police custody and would be charged to court upon completion of investigation.
He also said that in a similar vein, he directed divisional police officers in the command to clamp down on all traffic violators especially those found driving against traffic (popularly known as one way).
“So far, we arrested 20 suspects for various traffic offences and they were all immediately charged to court.
“These operations will be sustained across all roads within the FCT until or roads are safe for all road users,” he said.
Sanusi further disclosed that operatives of the command’s Violent Crime Response Unit – Team 2 (VCRU – 2) carried out a comprehensive investigation into a robbery incident in Nyanya area of the FCT, which led to the arrest of two suspects.
He said that the robbery incident occurred on July 14, adding that the investigation was to uncover the facts and apprehend any person(s) found responsible for the crime.
According to him, a detailed investigation into the incident revealed that a similar robbery incident took place in Kubwa area of the FCT a few weeks after.
He said the investigation showed a replication of the same robbery style as the suspects responsible for the robbery in Nyanya.
“Consequently, we expanded investigations and with the help of credible intelligence volunteered by well-meaning members of the public as well as digital reconstructive intelligence, we trailed one of the suspects to a Hotel in Jabi district of the FCT where he was arrested in connection to the crimes.
“He was arrested in company of another suspect who was identified as the usual receiver of items stolen by the first suspect,” he said.
The CP said five motorcycles, three knives; one license plate number and one face cap, inscribed with “Kaduna State Vigilante Service” were recovered during the investigation.
He said the suspects and the exhibits recovered were currently in police custody and would be charged to court upon conclusion of investigations. (NAN)