



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa
By BONIFACE AKARAH
The Federal Government has commenced the payment of outstanding 2025 allowances to Nigerian students studying abroad under the now-terminated Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Programme.
The development comes as the Federal Ministry of Education announced that approved funds had been remitted through the Central Bank of Nigeria to Nigerian embassies and foreign missions for immediate disbursement to eligible beneficiaries.
The disclosure was contained in a press statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Press and Public Relations at the Federal Ministry of Education, Boriowo Folasade.
According to the statement, the Minister of Education, Maruf Tunji Alausa, said the released funds represented 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025, while arrangements were ongoing to release the balance.
“The Central Bank of Nigeria has successfully remitted the approved funds to Nigerian Embassies and Missions for immediate disbursement to eligible beneficiaries,” the ministry stated.
The minister disclosed that the funds had already reached embassy accounts in partner countries, adding that affected missions were expected to begin payments immediately.
“Beneficiaries are therefore advised to monitor their accounts as payments are expected to begin reflecting accordingly,” Alausa said.
The Federal Government said the move reflected the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic progress of Nigerian students abroad under the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
Alausa also appreciated the patience and resilience shown by affected scholars amid delays in payments, assuring them that the government remained committed to supporting students pursuing education under official scholarship schemes.
“The Federal Government remains resolute in ensuring that no Nigerian student pursuing academic excellence under government scholarship schemes is left unsupported,” the statement added.
The ministry further reaffirmed its commitment to meeting legitimate obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining education policies aimed at promoting student welfare, access to quality learning and national development through human capital growth.

























