



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Yoruba nation activist Sunday Igboho
Amid growing insecurity in the South-West, following the abduction of pupils and teachers at Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Yoruba nation activist, Chief Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has urged the Federal Government and governors of the South-West states to urgently approve the operation of a proposed regional security outfit aimed at flushing criminal elements out of forests across Yorubaland.
Igboho disclosed on Tuesday evening that all necessary procedures required for the commencement of the ’Iru Ekun’ Security Network had already been completed, adding that the initiative was designed to combat banditry, kidnapping and attacks by rogue herders who, according to him, had infiltrated forests across the South-West.
He noted, however, that the operation was still awaiting official approval from relevant authorities.
Apparently reacting to the abduction of the pupils and the killing of one of the kidnapped teachers, identified as Michael Oyedokun, Igboho sympathised with the families of the victims, including traumatised parents of the abducted pupils.
“I am only awaiting government approval to confront the worsening insecurity devastating the South-West head-on,” he stated.
In a statement, Igboho said: “I do not want to commence our strategic and carefully coordinated offensive against these criminals without official approval from the Federal Government, South-West governors and relevant security stakeholders, including the Police, the Department of State Services, the Nigerian Army and other agencies.”
“What happened in the Ahoro-Esinele community, as well as previous security breaches, is deeply saddening, unfortunate and alarming, especially considering the suffering endured by the victims of abduction, particularly the innocent pupils.
“My heart goes out to the parents of the abducted pupils and the families of the slain teachers and security personnel who lost their lives in these heinous acts.
“However, this is the time to stop delaying decisive action capable of restoring peace, effective security and public confidence in our rural communities, which continue to bear the brunt of these avoidable killings and attacks carried out by bandits across the South-West and parts of Kwara State.
“We are fully prepared, alongside our men, to enter these forests and flush out the marauders who have made life unbearable for our people. We cannot continue to stand by helplessly while innocent citizens are murdered and abducted by bandits, rogue herders and kidnappers.
“Our revered traditional rulers must also intervene by urging government authorities to grant immediate approval for the commencement of the Iru Ekun Security Network in order to curb the rising wave of insecurity plaguing the South-West,” he said. (Text, excluding headline: Vanguard)

























