



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.
.webp&w=1200&q=75)
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has disclosed that the two surveillance aircraft procured by his administration are currently with the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) and will be in operation before the end of June.
The governor said this on Monday during a press briefing on the ongoing rescue operations for teachers and students during bandits’ attacks on three schools in Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire local government area of the state.
According to Makinde, the equipment had already arrived in Nigeria and was undergoing final assembly at the Airforce hangar in Lagos.
“The surveillance aircraft have arrived in the country. As of today, they are at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos being reassembled,” he said.
“The manufacturers from China arrived in the country about three days ago. They should have about two weeks roughly to finish their work. So I can say conclusively that those surveillance aircraft will be in operation before the end of June,” he added.
He explained that the aircraft were procured to strengthen security surveillance along border areas, including Oyo’s boundary with Kwara State and the Republic of Benin.
“We were proactive. We wanted to be able to cover the borderline between our state and Kwara State, and also the international border between our state and the Republic of Benin,” he said.
Earlier, while speaking on the ongoing operations, the governor said his administration will not give in to terror, noting that the government is willing to engage with the abductors where necessary to secure the safe return of the victims.
“Now we are able to confirm conclusively that at the Community Secondary School, about seven students were abducted, while at the First Baptist Primary and Nursery School, 18 children were abducted and about seven teachers were also involved. And unfortunately, like I reported yesterday, one of them was killed,” the governor explained.
He described the situation as highly sensitive and still unfolding, adding that security agencies were working under difficult conditions to rescue the victims.
“The operation is still ongoing. Yes, it is still a very fluid and difficult situation that our troops on the ground are faced with,” the governor said.
Makinde cautioned against sensational reporting of the incident, stressing that lives were at stake.
“This is not something sensational. It involves lives. So please, if you are not clear about anything, you can ask us and we will gladly volunteer the information,” he said.
He disclosed that a coordination centre had been established at the state Police Headquarters to manage updates on the rescue efforts.
“We have set up an operational centre at the Police Headquarters here. So the Commissioner of Police in the state will be in a position to give you the required information,” he added.
Makinde reassured residents that his government remained committed to protecting lives and restoring normalcy in affected communities. (Tribune)








.webp&w=256&q=75)
.webp&w=256&q=75)















