

















.webp&w=256&q=75)


.webp&w=256&q=75)




Loading banners


NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Governor Mbah
By ALEX ENEBELI
Gov. Peter Mbah of Enugu State on Friday, inaugurated a 3,000 square metre Premium Exhibition and Convention Hall built by the Enugu Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (ECCIMA).
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the exhibition hall was built inside Enugu International Trade Fair Complex as a way of transforming the trade fair complex.
Inaugurating the hall, Mbah, represented by the State Commissioner for Trade, Investment and Industry, Dr Samuel Ogbu-Nwobodo, described the chamber as a foremost institution that had remained at the forefront of economic development in the state and Nigeria at large.
According to him, the project aligns with the administration’s vision of growing Enugu’s economy to $30 billion dollars.
“When His Excellency laid out this broad vision during the campaign, it was actually at the Chamber Council Hall. Many wondered how the economy could grow seven-fold within eight years.
“But with clear vision, clarity of action and belief in the people, we are getting there cumulatively,” he said.
He congratulated ECCIMA’s leadership, past leaders and donors, assuring them of the state government’s continued support.
“This is one organisation others should emulate. There is smooth leadership transition, and that stability is commendable. The state government will continue to support you,” he added.
A former ECCIMA President, Rev. Ugochukwu Chime, said the chamber was compelled to embark on self-help after repeated efforts to secure federal support for the Enugu trade fair complex failed.
According to him, trade fair centres in Lagos and Kaduna were funded by the Federal Government, but that of Enugu was abandoned as our appeals were not honoured.
He noted that the chamber had earlier completed its permanent secretariat building through members’ contributions, reducing an initial seven-year projection to three years before inaugurating it in 2020.
“We decided to take our destiny in our hands. If others cannot help us, we can help ourselves,” Chime said.
He commended the current leadership for what he described as prudent use of funds and urged successive councils to continue with the plan to construct additional halls within the complex.
Earlier in a welcome address, ECCIMA President, Mr Odeiga Jideonwo, described the inauguration as a historic milestone for the organised private sector, particularly in the South-East.
“It is with great delight and a deep sense of purpose that I welcome you all to the commissioning of our 3,000sqm Premium Exhibition and Convention Hall,” he said.
Jideonwo recalled that the vision for a befitting trade fair complex dated back to 1999 when the Federal Government declined to complete the Enugu International Trade Fair Complex, unlike similar facilities in Lagos and Kaduna.
The president explained that his leadership came into office in February, 2024, with a decision to change the narrative about the infrastructural deficit in this complex.
He recalled that the foundation for the hall was laid on April 4, 2024, during the 35th Enugu International Trade Fair, and that the project cost about N500 million.
“This project was 100 per cent funded through internally generated revenue of the chamber, mainly freewill donations from members and friends of the Chamber,” he said.
Thanking Mbah for his support, he appealed to him for more support in installing air conditioners and landscaping the premises ahead of the 37th Enugu International Trade Fair scheduled for March 21 to March 30, 2026.
“Due to paucity of funds, we have not been able to install the needed air conditioners or landscape the surroundings.
“We humbly request the support of His Excellency and the state government to fully equip this building before the next trade fair,” he appealed.
In his remarks, the Chairman, Enugu State Internal Revenue Service, Mr Emmanuel Nnamani, congratulated the chamber and donors, noting that the new tax regime encouraged such contributions.
“The tax system we have implemented allows this kind of donation. Sections 163 and 164 of the new tax law clearly state that donations to approved funds are deductible as business expenses,” he said.
Nnamani described the new tax law as pro-citizen and pro-business, adding that small businesses with annual turnover below N100 million were exempt from certain taxes.
“There is no fear in the new tax law. It is designed to support businesses. We will sit down with stakeholders and guide them on how to structure their donations properly and obtain receipts so they can claim deductions,” he said. (NAN)