

























Loading banners


NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Screen grab from the viral video
Three South Africans appeared in court on Monday charged in connection with the death of a 22-year-old Nigerian student and e-hailing driver whose killing in Pretoria West last week has drawn widespread attention and renewed concerns over driver safety.
The accused, a 25-year-old woman and two men aged 26 and 30, were arraigned before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on charges including murder and car hijacking. All three waived bail and will remain in custody after the case was postponed for further investigation. A fourth suspect remains at large as police continue their search.
The victim, Identified as Isaac David Satlat, had been working as a driver on the Bolt platform when he accepted a ride request on February 11 in Pretoria West. According to preliminary reports, a dash camera installed in the vehicle recorded the attack.
Footage circulating on social media allegedly shows passengers assaulting him inside the car. Police have urged the public not to share the video, warning that distributing such material could compromise investigations and cause further distress to the family.
Satlat’s hijacked vehicle was later recovered, while his body was found the same day in Atteridgeville, west of Pretoria.
Police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo said earlier that arrests were made following investigative work that included review of digital evidence. The female suspect was arrested on February 13, while the two male suspects were detained over the weekend.
“The police have arrested two more suspects after an e-hailing driver was allegedly killed on Wednesday,” Masondo said, adding that efforts to trace an additional suspect were ongoing.
The case has drawn reactions from fellow e-hailing drivers, some of whom gathered outside court calling for improved security measures and closer cooperation between ride-hailing companies and law enforcement authorities.
Satlat was an automotive engineering student who was due to graduate next month. According to family members cited in local media, he had been planning to relocate to Canada to continue his studies.
Relatives have appealed for assistance to repatriate his body to Nigeria for burial. A family representative described the killing as a criminal act and urged that it not be framed as a national dispute.
South Africa records high levels of violent crime, including car hijackings, and authorities have in recent years faced pressure to strengthen safety measures for gig-economy workers operating through digital platforms.
The matter remains before the court as investigations continue and police intensify efforts to locate the outstanding suspect. (The Guardian)