



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.







NAF fighter jets in operation
Authorities of the Nigerian Air Force and the local vigilante groups yesterday disagreed about the victims of air operations that were carried out against the marauding terrorists wrecking havoc in some areas in Zamfara State.
While the vigilantes explained that those killed by the NAF airstrikes were some of their members, authorities of the force insisted that its airstrikes killed several bandits and foiled a planned attack on the civilians.
Although the Air Force confirmed that two local vigilantes paid supreme price when the troops attached with Operation Fasan Yamma foiled the attack, the vigilantes, however, said the numbers were more than that.
It was gathered that the air troops were deployed to Garin Mani, a village in Maru Local Government Area on Saturday, following an attack carried out by the bandits.
The attack, according to locals, who spoke to one of our correspondents, left several residents dead and over 50 others abducted, mostly farmers working on their fields.
Eyewitnesses said the assailants arrived on motorcycles around noon, opening fire indiscriminately and causing widespread panic.
In response, local vigilante groups mobilised and gave chase to the fleeing attackers, one of the vigilantes told BBC Hausa.
?We were pursuing the bandits when we saw the fighter jet approaching. It flew very low and started bombing us. Some of us survived by pretending we had been hit. When the jet left, we got up and fled to safety.?
A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, however, claimed that the military misfired, while expressing a disappointment over the lack of communication from the military.
?We understand it was an unfortunate mistake, but the military should acknowledge what happened and reach out to the victims? families,? he said.
He also appealed to the government to deploy additional troops to the area, as the bandits had threatened to return.
NAF?s intervention
Sources disclosed that due to how the terrain of the area where the bandits carried out the attack was, the ground troops drew the attention of their counterparts in the Air Force to deal with the enemies.
Confirming the operation, the spokesman of the NAF, Ehimen Ejodame, told journalists in Abuja that the force destroyed more than 21 motorcycles that were used by the bandits for the attack during its air interdiction.
?In a swift response to a distress call, the NAF, on 31st May 2025, successfully neutralised over 20 armed terrorists and destroyed more than 21 motorcycles during an air interdiction operation in Zamfara State.
?The operation, carried out in the general area south of Mai-Galma in Maru Local Government Area, was aimed at halting a planned large-scale attack on vulnerable communities by armed bandits.
?Intelligence received indicated that a significant number of terrorists were massing and preparing to strike unsuspecting settlements,? Ejodame, an Air Commodore explained.
According to him, further intelligence confirmed that the bandits had killed some farmers and abducted a number of civilians, including women and children.
He added, ?Consequently, NAF aircraft under Operation FANSAN YAMMA was immediately dispatched on armed reconnaissance and possible rescue mission.
?On arrival at the area, over 30 motorcycles carrying armed terrorists heading into the nearby forest were positively identified.
?On sighting the aircraft, the terrorists opened fire, prompting a precision engagement that led to the destruction of several motorcycles and the neutralisation of dozens of terrorists.
?Ground forces were immediately mobilised to exploit the situation. They confirmed the destruction of enemy assets and the neutralisation of over 20 terrorists.?
Investigation on killing of vigilantes begins
Speaking further, Ejodame said the NAF authorities have commenced investigations regarding how the vigilantes paid the supreme price during the operation, urging the general public to remain calm.
He said, ?Unfortunately, in the course of the operation, 2 local vigilantes lost their lives and 2 others sustained injuries in the crossfire.
?The NAF deeply regrets the loss of these brave vigilantes and remains committed to working with local communities to ensure the safety and security of all citizens.
?Efforts are ongoing to track and rescue the kidnapped villagers who were taken into the adjoining forest.?
The senior military officer added that the military would continue to conduct its operations in line with the strict rules of engagement.
?The NAF reiterates that all its operations are guided by strict rules of engagement, adherence to humanitarian law as well as the Nigerian Air Force Civilian Harm Mitigation and Response Action Plan (CHMRAP), which emphasises the protection of innocent lives even in the face of hostile engagements.
?As investigations continue, the NAF assures the public that all necessary measures are taken to protect civilians while intensifying pressure on criminal elements threatening peace in the region,? he said.
Expert speaks
A Counter-Terrorism expert, Abdullahi Garba, urged the residents in terror-prone areas to support the military in order to end the nefarious activities of the bandits threatening food security.
?In an asymmetric warfare like this, you can?t rule out collateral damages. What is important is that, it should be minimal. We can, however, avoid collateral damages if the civilians support the military by giving timely intervention.
?The food security is threatened right now because most farmers have been driven away by the bandits. I will appeal again to the military and the government at large not to relent in ensuring that the farmers secured,? he said.
Rising toll from coordinated attacks
Maru Local Government Area has come under renewed assault from armed bandits in recent weeks, with deadly consequences for residents. In April, the Chief Imam of Maru, Alkali Salisu Suleiman?a retired Shari?ah court judge?was reportedly killed in captivity along with two of his sons and a grandchild.
The imam?s killing is part of a broader surge in violence sweeping Zamfara. At least 28 people have been killed in coordinated attacks across several communities in Maru LGA in recent days. Shops and vehicles have been set ablaze, and livestock looted.
Bandits attacked Yar Tashar Sahabi village, razing shops and making away with animals. Residents believe the assault was in retaliation for a vigilante ambush on Sunday, in which several bandits were reportedly killed and stolen cattle recovered.
Gunmen launched simultaneous assaults on the communities of Gobirawa Chali, Damaga, and Lugga. In Gobirawa Chali, at least 20 miners were killed when armed men in large numbers stormed a mining site and opened fire.
In Damaga, five residents were confirmed dead, while three were killed in Lugga.
Military ground forces, supported by aerial operations, were deployed during the assaults and reportedly neutralised several assailants, thereby limiting further casualties.
The escalating violence In Zamfara underscores the region?s growing insecurity, despite repeated assurances from both state and federal authorities. (Daily Trust)



















