



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Vehicles set ablaze by the protesting angry youths
Angry youths in Ette, Ikot Abasi Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State, have gone on the rampage after a soldier attached to Sterling Global Petrochemical Ltd allegedly killed one person in the area.
Our correspondent gathered that the victim was shot dead by a soldier on guard at the company premises for allegedly stealing some quantities of diesel from the company yard.
The incident, which occurred on Wednesday, caused the youths to mobilise for reprisals, and the soldier, now receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital, was manhandled by the youths.
Eyewitnesses said that the soldier had chased the boy whom he suspected of having stolen diesel from the company.
?When he caught up with the boy, instead of just arresting him, he shot the boy at close range, leading to his death.
?Youths of the community, who were very angry at the incident, pounced on the soldier and beat him up. He sustained life-threatening injuries and has been taken to hospital,? an eyewitness said.
The TheSun.ng also gathered that the incident comes shortly after another community member was allegedly shot dead by another soldier last week.
However, the situation has caused serious tension along the East-West Road leading to Port Harcourt, as vehicles, including five trucks, a bus, and a Navara Hilux vehicle belonging to the company, have been burnt by the angry youths.
The Ikot Abasi-Port Harcourt road is said to have been blocked, prompting warnings to travellers and motorists to avoid the route.
However, the State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Timfon John, confirmed the incident but said the police were yet to ascertain if there was any loss of life.
?The police command is aware of the incident but is yet to confirm if any life has been lost.
?What I can say for now is that the soldier is receiving treatment in a medical facility in the state,? he said. (Daily Sun)

























