



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Bulldozer at work in Nkisi Layout, Onitsha on Thursday
By CHIMEZIE ANASO
The Anambra government has vowed to continue with the demolition of unapproved structures and prosecute owners of such buildings for gross violation of the law.
Mr. Chike Maduekwe, Managing Director of Anambra State Physical Planning Board (AnPPB), said this at the continued demolition exercise in Nkisi Layout, Onitsha on Thursday.
In Enekwasumpu, Obosi area, the enforcement team led by the MD, successfully completed the demolition of structures erected on a canal.
The team also brought down an ongoing one-story building within the premises for lack approval and posing threat to lives and property in the neighbourhood.
Maduekwe summoned the owner of the structure who had been at large to come and defend his actions insisting that he must face the law and be made to bear the cost of enforcement.
?Somebody built on top of a canal, we marked it and he continued, if we allow it to stand, flood will overrun the area and that will be a disaster,? he said.
Maduekwe said the state government had commenced operation zero tolerance for shanties in Trans Nkisi and would not spare any violator no matter their status in the society.
He said the owners of the shops were given early notices to evacuate their wares and leave the places but they had repeatedly ignored the order.
Maduekwe said the operation was neither selective nor personal, adding that there was no truth in the claim that AnPPB invaded or encroached the premises of a national media house.
?We started our zero tolerance for shanties last week even though we faced resistance, we are in Trans Nkisi again because it is a government prime land and we are continuing from where we stopped.
?AnPPB Law, no.9, 2013 requires that builders must come for an approval, the reason is to determine if the land belongs to him, if the building is consistent with the scheme and its structural integrity.
?We did not enter the premises of NTA, we are moving to clear every shanty that has been marked in this layout, we are not selective, it is not personal,? he said. (NAN)

















.webp&w=256&q=75)







