



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Governor Oyebanji
By FUNMILAYO OKUNADE
Following recurring incidents of accidents and loss of lives, the Ekiti State Government has ordered the immediate relocation of the central market at Iworoko-Ekiti in Irepodun/Ifelodun Local Government Area of the State.
The Deputy Governor, Mrs Monisade Afuye, gave the directive in Ado-Ekiti on Monday during an interaction with concerned stakeholders and landowners from the community.
Afuye said that concerned about the incessant incidents of auto crashes and loss of lives at Iworoko central market, the governor directed the composition of a committee, headed by her to look into the issue.
She said that the relocation of the market from its present location to another site had for long been a thorny issue
The deputy governor said that the constitution of the committee stemmed from the opposition of the Arinjale family of Iworoko community to the relocation of the market to a land, they laid claims to ownership.
Afuye said the meeting was on the directive of Gov. Oyebanji to seek amicable resolution to the issue and to facilitate immediate relocation of the market to avoid further loss of lives.
?Gov. Biodun Oyebanji is not happy about the deaths being recorded at this market when there are other locations where it can be relocated.
?Let me assure you that the government is ready to give the necessary compensations to the land owners affected.
?Please, don?t sabotage our efforts in ensuring that the relocation is done in time. The governor won?t like a situation whereby another death will be recorded in that market?, she said.
In his submission, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Dayo Apata (SAN), said Section 14 of the 1999 Constitution places the onerous responsibility on government to ensure protection of lives and property of the people in the overriding public interest.
?Even, the Land Use Act gave the government the overriding power to acquire any land in public interest, so this action is for your own interest and the government can no longer wait, because lives are being lost?, he said.
Speaking for Arinjale Family, Mr Julius Babalola, said the land under contention was given to the Catholic Church by his family to build a school a few years ago.
He expressed displeasure that the land was now being represented to be Iworoko community land.
Babalola further said that his family had earlier granted to the community 39 acres of land for the building of the Oworoko Community High School.
?The community can relocate the market to a befitting market stall built by Sen. Fatimat Raji Rasaki for Iworoko community,? he said.
Earlier in his Presentation of the report, the Permanent Secretary, Office of the deputy governor, Mr Abayomi Opeyemi, said that the need to relocate the market started in the year 2019, when over 19 persons were killed in an accident, which propelled the Iworoko people to ask for the relocation.
The regent of Iworoko-Ekiti, Princess Bolanle Ogundola, appreciated the state government for intervening in the matter.
According to her, the relocation of the market will stop the unnecessary loss of lives. (NAN)

