Presidency gives EFCC green light to investigate Jonathan for alleged corruption

News Express |12th Mar 2016 | 3,383
Presidency gives EFCC green light to investigate Jonathan for alleged corruption

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been given the green light by the Presidency to investigate former President Goodluck Jonathan for alleged corruption, according to a report this morning in Saturday PUNCH.

The report quoted Mr. Femi Adesina, Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, as disclosing on Friday in Abuja that the Presidency had given the anti-corruption body a free hand to investigate and try anybody involved in corrupt practices. “He said that the President was not interested in teleguiding the anti-graft agency,” the report said.

Saturday PUNCH said it had asked Adesina if the EFCC would need the permission of the President before probing Jonathan. He was also asked to react to an allegation that Buhari had been reluctant to grant permission to the EFCC to investigate Jonathan, the report said.

It quoted Adesina as saying in his response: “The President does not teleguide the EFCC in any way.”

The report also quoted the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, as stressing that Buhari did not sign any pact with Dr. Jonathan or any past President, exempting them from being probed.

The paper quoted Shehu as saying in an exclusive interview: “There is no secret pact between President Buhari and any past President.

“If you know or understand him, President Buhari is not the kind of person who will go into secret agreements. He is open about everything he does.

“The war against corruption is open-ended. Nobody knows how it will end.”

•Photo shows Ex-President Jonathan.

Comments

Post Comment

Saturday, November 29, 2025 8:00 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025