33 docked over Mile 12 Lagos riots (PLUS: Names and ages of the suspects)

News Express |10th Mar 2016 | 4,989
33 docked over Mile 12 Lagos riots (PLUS: Names and ages of the suspects)

Thirty-three persons were, yesterday, arraigned before a Chief Magistrate’s Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, over the recent Mile 12 riots. It would be recalled that over four people lost their lives, while properties worth millions of Naira were destroyed in riots that broke out in Agiliti area of Ketu, Mile 12, last week. It was gathered that about 105 persons were arrested after the riots, out of which the 33 were arraigned yesterday.

Roll call

Those arraigned included: Sanusi Mohammed, 17; Haruna Abdulahi, 30; Umaru Bala, 18; Saheed Tahir Abdulahi, 20; Musa Isa, 22; Biliaminu Dauda, 15; Abeeb Ibrahim, 16; Farouq Abdamu, 22; Aminu Abubakar, 22; Sanni Amadu, 24. Others are Amoo Mustapha, 42; Danjuma Adamson, 30; America Umaru Saidu, 21; Awolu Alli, 30; Rufai Ibrahim, 15; Monday Obasi, 37; Aminu Abubakar, 19; Abdulquddus Olalekan Ajuwon, 19; Tunde Nureni, 24; Abdulahi Umoru, 20; Musa Usman, 35; Abdulahi Aliyu, 35. The others are Aminu Saidi Ibrahim, 19; Sunday Idoko, 48; Hassan Adam, 39; Yahaya Sheu Malami, 23; Rabiu Hamza, 19; Nura Yahu, 19; Rayyanu Lawal, 34; Abdurama Mohammed, 40; Abubakar Tasu, 28; Sunday Lawal, 15, and Sani Ahasy, 15.

Charge

They were docked before Magistrate B. O. Osunsanmi on a two-count charge “of conspiracy to wit: felony, unlawful assembly, acting in a disorderly manner and disturbing the public peace.” The charge read in part: “On March 3, at Agiliti, Mile 12, Ikorodu Road, Lagos, in the Lagos Magisterial district, did conspire amongst yourself to commit felony to wit riot and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 409 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.”

The alleged offence of “disorderly manner to disturb public peace” also contravenes Section 45 of the same law. When the charge was read, they all pleaded not guilty. Prosecutors were Barrister Osuyi Goddy and Inspector Simon Imhonwa.

‘Don’t grant them bail’

Goddy, who is from the legal department of the state CID, Panti, objected to the bail application, saying that most of the defendants do not have fixed addresses, which may aid their escape from trial. In her response, Magistrate Osunsanmi said that the offences preferred against them are bailable in law, and subsequently granted them N200,000 bail each, with two sureties in like sum. She ordered that the sureties must be blood related and must have verifiable addresses. She also said that the sureties must be a regular tax payer and adjourned the matter till April 7 for trial.

•Sourced from Vanguard.

Comments

Post Comment

Saturday, November 29, 2025 2:15 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025