



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

The organised labour in Ogun State has threatened to begin strike any moment from Friday 6th December,over the national minimum wage.
The organised labour comprisesNigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress lamented that their series of requests to meet Governor Dapo Abiodun over the issue were ignored.
They therefore submitted that due to the alleged delay by the government in the negotiation on the new national minimum wage, they could no longer guarantee industrial harmony in the state.
The declaration was contained in a letter dated November 22, 2019 addressed to the governor through the Head of Service, Lanre Bisiriyu.
The letter was titled “Concern Over The Delay In The Negotiation on the New National Minimum Wage And Other Sundry Issues.”
The letter was jointly signed by the Chairman of the NLC , Emmanuel Bankole and his counterpart in the TUC, Olubunmi Fajobi; the Chairman, Joint Negotiating Council, Folorunso Bankole and the Secretary, Adebiyi Olusegun.
According to the union,the government’s failure to hold a formal meeting with the labour portends that the latter (labour) is seen as inconsequential in the algorithms of advancing the cause of our dear state but as well has been positioned on master-servant scale of industrial relationship.”
The body, however, asked Abiodun to set up negotiating committee on the minimum wage on or beforeFriday(today) or risk industrial disharmony.
The labour unions argued that the “industrial peace currently being experienced in the state maynot be assured any further in the event that our call received no further action not later than Friday, 6th December, 2019.”
When contacted, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Kunle Somorin, said there was no cause for alarm.
Somorin explained that the governor had reassured the organised labour of his commitment to enter into negotiation with the workers on the minimum wage.
He said the issues had been taken care of in the proposed 2020 budget.
(Punch)



















.webp&w=256&q=75)





