



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Ebonyi Police Spokesperson Loveth Odah
One of the injured persons in last week’s clash in Agubia Town in Ikwo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State has died.
The man, 26 years old Chinedu Nwali, died in an Enugu hospital on Sunday from gunshot injuries he sustained in a clash between two rival groups in the community.
At least five persons were injured and hospitalised while houses and cars were burnt during the clash.
The groups,News Expresslearnt, clashed over control of one of the biggest motor parks in the community.
The injured persons were first rushed to the Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital Abakaliki (AE-FUTHA) but later transferred to an undisclosed hospital in Enugu.
It was also gathered that homes and vehicles belonging to some of the current leaders of the parks were vandalised and set ablaze by the opposing youths.
The Agubia Motor Park is the central park where all the vehicles leaving and entering the community stops.
A source in the community told our correspondent that the clash was a fall-out of a supremacy battle between two opposing political camps in the area over political dominance ahead of 2023 political year.
“The true situation is that politicians from the area are struggling for dominance ahead of 2023. Before now, boys loyal to a bigwig from the community have been in control of the park. But their tenure just expired and new leadership is expected soon.
“However, things were going on well all along until recently when some boys loyal to a rival chieftain of another party from the area suddenly resurfaced and started agitating for a change of baton,” the source said.
Police Spokesperson in the state, Loveth Odah, confirmed the death.
She, however, noted that six persons were arrested and charged to court over the clash.
Meanwhile, the Member Representing Ikwo/Ezza South Federal Constituency, Chinedu Ogah, has called on security agencies to arrest and prosecute anyone involved in the crisis.
“This is why I am interested in empowering the youths so that they will not indulge in such criminal acts,” he said.
Also, the Senator Representing Ebonyi Central Senatorial district, Obinna Ogba, has called for calm and urged all youths and leaders from the area to stop taking any further action capable of chaos in the area.
In a statement made available to journalists in Abakaliki, Ogba called on security agents to restore peace in the area.
He said: “As a senator representing Ebonyi central zone I encourage all stakeholders and security agents to quell this unnecessary and wanton destruction of lives and property in Agubia.
“I also use this opportunity to pledge my strong support for families that have lost their property and I will do my bit in offsetting hospital bills of the badly injured while encouraging the victims not to engage in reprisal attack.”

























