



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Maina sitting on a wheelchair inside the Abuja Federal High Court
Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High court has adjourned the trial of Abdulrasheed Maina to November 21 and 22, 2019.
This according to the Judge is to enable the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) to ascertain the true state of Mr Maina who was wheeled into the courtroom on Thursday.
Justice Abang had earlier announced that the reserved ruling on the bail application filed on behalf of Abdulrasheed Maina is not ready.
He said the heavy work load on the court has made it impossible to deliver the ruling today, adding that a new date for the ruling will be communicated to all the parties before the close of work on Thursday.
Arguments were later taken from both prosecution and defence counsel whether or not to proceed with the trial considering the ill health of the defendant.
Following a medical report presented by Maina, the Prosecutor asked the court for an adjournment to the 21st and 22nd of November to enable the Nigerian Correctional Service ascertain the true state of Mister Maina’s health and his fitness to stand trial.
The Prosecutor however says if the court is not prepared to grant the application for adjournment, he is ready to continue with the trial since his first witness is already in court.
Justice Abang therefore adjourned the trial to 21st and 22nd of November.
The former chairman of Pension Reform Task Team (PRTT) is being tried by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over an alleged N2 billion fraud.
He was on October 25 arraigned alongside a firm, Common Input Property and Investment Limited before Justice Abang.
He is being prosecuted by the Federal Government on 12 counts bordering on alleged N2 billion pension fund fraud, money laundering, and operating fictitious bank accounts among other fraudulent activities. (Channels TV)

























