Hong Kong fire death toll rises to 146 as thousands pay respects

News Express |30th Nov 2025 | 91
Hong Kong fire death toll rises to 146 as thousands pay respects

Scene of the Hong Kong apartment block blaze




At least 146 people are now known to have died in the devastating fire that tore through high-rise buildings in Hong Kong on Wednesday.

Police announced the new death toll on Sunday, cautioning that they “cannot rule out the possibility of further fatalities”. There still 150 people missing, and the blaze left 79 injured.

Seven of eight tower blocks at the Wang Fuk Court housing complex in the northerly Tai Po district rapidly went up in flames. Accusations that the fire was spread by flammable construction materials have sparked widespread anger.

Three days of national mourning started on Saturday, and thousands have gathered at the scene to mourn the victims.

There have been queues stretching a long as 2km (1.2 miles), as people wait to lay flowers and handwritten notes.

Indonesian worker Romlah Rosidah said she was “very surprised” at how many people had turned up to pray for the victims.

“This event was only spread on social media, but [it] turned out their hearts moved,” she told news agency Reuters.

A Filipino worker said they had joined the prayers to “show the Hong Kong community that we are one in this situation”.

Officials observed three minutes’ silence to begin the mourning period, and the flags of China and Hong Kong are flying at half-staff.

The fire is Hong Kong’s deadliest in more than 70 years, and the death toll has been rising each day, as officials work to recover and identify bodies.

The exact cause of the blaze has yet to be determined. Eight people have been arrested on suspicion of corruption over the renovations that had been taking place on the towers, while three others were detained on manslaughter charges.

The fire - which spread quickly both upwards and between the blocks – was only fully doused by Friday morning, some 40 hours after it started, and took more than 2,000 firefighters to bring under control.

The same day, police began entering the buildings to gather evidence. Authorities say the investigation could take three to four weeks.

Police official Tsang Shuk-yin said on Sunday that officers had so far completed searches of four of the tower blocks.

Indonesia’s consulate in Hong Kong said at least seven of its nationals had died from the fire, while the Philippines’ consulate said one of its citizens had died.

Firefighter Ho Wai-ho, 37, has been identified as among those killed. He was found collapsed at the scene on Wednesday, about 30 minutes after contact with him was lost.

The fire department said the blaze had reached a peak temperature of 500C (932F), and 12 firefighters were injured.

The flames spread quickly across the separate tower blocks on plastic netting and other flammable materials on the outside of the buildings, officials have said.

The buildings were also covered in bamboo scaffolding, which is commonly used for construction work in Hong Kong. The fire has renewed a debate about whether it should still be used.

Several residents have said they did not hear a fire alarm when the blaze broke out. Hong Kong’s fire service found that alarms in all eight blocks were not working effectively.

The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) said that those arrested in the corruption investigation included directors at an engineering company and scaffolding subcontractors.

A police spokesperson previously said they had reason to believe “those in charge at the company were grossly negligent”, which led to the fire and caused it to “spread uncontrollably”.

Hong Kong’s buildings department has temporarily suspended works on 30 private projects.

Separately, police reportedly detained a 24-year-old man on suspicion of sedition on Saturday. He was part of a group petitioning for an independent inquiry into the fire.

Wang Fuk Court was built in 1983 and had provided 1,984 apartments for some 4,600 residents, according to a 2021 government census.

Nearly 40% of its residents are estimated to be at least 65 years old. Some have lived in the subsidised housing estate since it was built.

Hong Kong’s second-deadliest fire on record killed 176 people in 1948 and was caused by a ground-floor explosion at a five-storey warehouse. The most deadly was at Happy Valley Racecourse in 1918, when more than 600 people died. (BBC)




Comments

Post Comment

Panic in Katsina as Niger Republic Army convoy enters Nigeria illegally, opens fire

Panic in Katsina as Niger Republic Army convoy enters Nigeria illegally, opens fire

Coup Glitch: Obi accuses ECOWAS of double standards

Coup Glitch: Obi accuses ECOWAS of double standards

Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, others in Abuja

Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, others in Abuja

‘You can kill 10 million people and it still won’t amount to genocide’ — Bishop Kukah

‘You can kill 10 million people and it still won’t amount to genocide’ — Bishop Kukah

Police Scorpion squad arrests two notorious kidnappers, recovers three vehicles in Zamfara

Police Scorpion squad arrests two notorious kidnappers, recovers three vehicles in Zamfara

Rice farmers predict further price drop as Lagos pegs bag at N57,000

Rice farmers predict further price drop as Lagos pegs bag at N57,000

ADC berates Tinubu’s ambassadorial list, says Yakubu’s nomination, a stain on INEC’s credibility

ADC berates Tinubu’s ambassadorial list, says Yakubu’s nomination, a stain on INEC’s credibility

Nine killed in Katsina-Ala multiple crash, NURTW officials arrested over road blockade

Nine killed in Katsina-Ala multiple crash, NURTW officials arrested over road blockade

Kanu’s younger brother denies being IPOB’s Spokesperson, says enemies framing him up for jail

Kanu’s younger brother denies being IPOB’s Spokesperson, says enemies framing him up for jail

Attack on church, abduction of pastor and worshipers ‘very sad and unfortunate’ — Kogi Govt.

Attack on church, abduction of pastor and worshipers ‘very sad and unfortunate’ — Kogi Govt.

Police probe officer over viral bus conductor clash in Lagos

Police probe officer over viral bus conductor clash in Lagos

NDLEA uncovers illicit drugs packaged as Christmas cookies, arrests distributors

NDLEA uncovers illicit drugs packaged as Christmas cookies, arrests distributors

Osun 2026: Adeoti dumps Aregbesola, ADC over alleged plan to cede guber ticket to ex-speaker

Osun 2026: Adeoti dumps Aregbesola, ADC over alleged plan to cede guber ticket to ex-speaker

IBEDC resumes installation of over 55,000 free meters, warns against extortion

IBEDC resumes installation of over 55,000 free meters, warns against extortion

Olisa Metuh joins APC, says ‘PDP abandoned me’

Olisa Metuh joins APC, says ‘PDP abandoned me’

Suspend all non-essential gatherings now — Bakare urges FG

Suspend all non-essential gatherings now — Bakare urges FG

2027: Group urges NASS to fast-track amendment of key electoral bills

2027: Group urges NASS to fast-track amendment of key electoral bills

TCAM wants establishment of Independent ministry for traditional medicine

TCAM wants establishment of Independent ministry for traditional medicine

Agbakoba seeks 9 new laws for maritime sector

Agbakoba seeks 9 new laws for maritime sector

EastLand installs new 500kVA transformer, assures Ebonyi electricity customers of improved services

EastLand installs new 500kVA transformer, assures Ebonyi electricity customers of improved services

Sunday, November 30, 2025 8:46 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025