Bauchi CP Sani-Omolori Aliyu
The Bauchi State Police Command has appealed for calm as security agencies commence a joint investigation into the killing of a soldier in Alkaleri Local Government Area of the state.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Sani-Omolori Aliyu, made the appeal in a statement issued by the command’s spokesperson, CSP Ahmed Wakil, on Friday in Bauchi.
Aliyu described recent reports on the incident, as “misleading and a misrepresentation of facts,” stressing that such accounts failed to accurately capture what transpired.
According to the command, the incident occurred on Aug. 25 at about 7:50 p.m. when troops of the 33 Artillery Brigade, Bauchi, attempted to intercept a truck suspected of conveying solid minerals from Futuk village.
The soldier, Identified as Master Warrant Officer (MWO) Ali Haruna, was shot during the encounter by a mobile police inspector, Yusuf Ibrahim, who was on an approved security assignment to a mining company operating in the area.
Haruna was rushed to Gombe Specialist Hospital for treatment but later died from his injuries.
The police explained that preliminary findings showed that the truck belonged to Guruje Mining Company Limited and ZURFI Company Limited, which possess valid licences issued by the Federal Government for the extraction of lead and zinc in Alkaleri.
“The officers attached to the companies were formally requested and approved to provide security for expatriate workers and other operations of the firm. Inspector Yusuf Ibrahim was one of the officers assigned to this duty,” the statement said.
Aliyu said a combined team of police detectives and Nigerian Army military police had been set up to thoroughly investigate the immediate and remote causes of the incident.
He assured that the investigation would be evidence-based, transparent, and aimed at ensuring justice.
The commissioner condoled with the 33 Artillery Brigade, Bauchi, and the family of the late officer, praying for Allah’s guidance and fortitude to bear the loss.
He urged journalists to uphold professionalism and verify reports through official channels, warning that unverified information could undermine inter-agency collaboration and public confidence. (Zagazola)
NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.