ADVERTISEMENT

Real Madrid pushing for even MORE changes to Club World Cup format as FIFA consider hosting event even more often

News Express |19th Aug 2025 | 197
Real Madrid pushing for even MORE changes to Club World Cup format as FIFA consider hosting event even more often




Real Madrid are among a host of top European clubs that are pushing for more changes to the Club World Cup format. The revised 32-team competition was held for the first time in the US this summer and Chelsea won the title, beating Paris Saint-Germain in the final. The next edition of the tournament is scheduled to be held in 2029 and after which FIFA might consider hosting it even more frequently.

WHAT HAPPENED?

According to The Guardian, FIFA are considering hosting the Club World Cup every two years after the second edition of the tournament in 2029. Real Madrid are believed to be one of many top European teams that are pushing for the competition to be held more frequently. Other than Los Blancos, clubs like Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool and Napoli are also in this union.

THE BIGGER PICTURE

The Blues pocketed £85 million ($115m) in prize money for winning the tournament this summer and this has caught the eyes of the European teams, who are hoping to be get benefitted financially from FIFA's multiple revenue pools. The report, though, adds that FIFA are not considering hosting the tournament in 2027 as it will affect the international calendar, which is set until 2030. FIFA are alreadly embroiled in legal battles with several leagues across the world, including the Premier League, who have filed a legal complaint to the European Commission, accusing FIFA of "abuse of dominance".

WHAT HAS BEEN SAID

Addressing the Club World Cup issue, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters had earlier told reporters: "FIFA was put on earth really to regulate the global game and to run international football, and the Club World Cup is a move into club football. The leagues and the players have not been consulted at all on the timing and scheduling of the competition, and I think whatever iteration of it may come next, we do need to be consulted on that.

"Obviously, it does have an impact on the scheduling of the Premier League season, that much is clear. We’re asking for a seat at the table, a proper discussion for the leagues."

WHAT NEXT FOR CLUB WORLD CUP?

FIFA might consider scrapping the June international break to incorporate the Club World Cup in the summer, however, that would be opposed by UEFA, who scheduled the final of the Nations League at the end of the league campaigns in Europe.(GOAL)

Comments

Post Comment

Friday, August 29, 2025 11:19 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025