ADVERTISEMENT

Ground rent: Wike requests list of defaulters for immediate sanctions

News Express |8th Aug 2025 | 244
Ground rent: Wike requests list of defaulters for immediate sanctions

FCT Minister Wike




By PHILIP YATAI

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, on Friday, demanded the list of ground rent defaulters across the territory for immediate implementation of necessary sanctions.

Wike gave the directive in Abuja while inaugurating two committees to address land issues at River Park Estate and abuse of land use act in the FCT.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the FCT Administration had on June 2, published a demand notice for the payment of ground rent due to the FCT Administration from 2014 to 2024.

The FCT Administration gave the defaulters two weeks to comply.

Wike noted that the two weeks had long elapsed into months, adding that it was time for enforcement of necessary sanctions.

“We have allowed so much time. Initially we gave two weeks; it has passed one month, two months, three months.

“You know how Nigerians are, if you don’t take steps nothing will happen.

“So, all those owing, from the ones we have published up to 2025, you have to provide the list so that we commence immediate implementation.

“This will enable us to receive the needed funds that will aid us in the development of infrastructure in the FCT,” he said.

The minister said that the FCT 2025 budget had been passed and assented to, by President Bola Tinubu.

He, however, pointed out that without funds, there was no way the administration would undertake projects that would have a positive impact on the lives of FCT residents.

“So, please, Directors of Land, Abuja Geographic Information System, Development Control, Urban and Regional Planning, you need to work tirelessly to make sure that this is achieved,” the minister said. (NAN)




Comments

Post Comment

Sunday, August 31, 2025 1:39 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025