Kaduna state Police Command spokesperson, DSP Mansir Hassan
The Kaduna State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of two suspects involved in illegal arms dealing in the state.
The arrests led to the recovery of several locally fabricated weapons, according to a statement issued on Friday by the Command’s spokesperson, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Mansir Hassan.
The arrests took place on August 5, 2025, around 2:00 p.m., following intelligence reports about gunrunning activities in the Kurmin Kogi village area of Ikara Local Government Area.
Police operatives from the Ikara Division apprehended the two suspects, identified as Isah Bello and Sa’idu Haruna, both residents of Damdami village, Richifa Ward, in Soba Local Government Area.
According to the police statement, the suspects led operatives to a hideout in a bush where four locally made guns and four locally made pistols were recovered.
“During the course of the operation, one of the suspects, Isah Bello, attempted to evade arrest and in the process assaulted an Inspector of Police, causing injury to the officer’s face,” Hassan said.
He added that the Injured officer is currently receiving medical attention and is responding to treatment.
In a separate operation, on August 7, 2025, detectives from the Dan Magaji Division arrested a suspect in connection with a motorcycle theft ring.
The suspect, identified as 36-year-old Shamsudeen Haruna from Galadimawa in Giwa Local Government Area, was apprehended while attempting to sell stolen motorcycles.
Hassan said, “Upon investigation, four motorcycles were recovered from him. During interrogation, he confessed to the crime. The suspect belonged to the notorious syndicate that had been terrorising Zaria, Giwa, and its environs.”
Further investigations led to the arrest of an alleged receiver of the stolen motorcycles. The police said the individual is currently assisting with ongoing inquiries and recovery efforts.
The Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Muhammad, commended the officers involved in the operations and restated the Command’s determination to tackle criminal activity across the state.
He also Issued a warning to market association leaders regarding the sale of stolen property, saying, “Whoever is caught receiving stolen motorcycles will face the full wrath of the law.”
The police statement indicated that operations will continue in coordination with the military, the Department of State Services (DSS), and other security agencies.
The Commissioner also acknowledged the support of the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, and Kaduna State Governor, Uba Sani, for their contributions to logistics and security coordination. (The Guardian)
NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.