ADVERTISEMENT

SDP drags INEC to court over rejection of candidates in 12 states’ by-elections

News Express |4th Aug 2025 | 196
SDP drags INEC to court over rejection of candidates in 12 states’ by-elections




The Social Democratic Party (SDP) has filed a lawsuit against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over the Commission’s reported rejection of its candidates for the upcoming by-elections in twelve states across the country.

In a statement issued on Sunday by the SDP National Publicity Secretary, Araba Rufus Aiyenigba, the party claimed that INEC acted beyond its powers by refusing to recognize its candidates, despite their nomination through duly conducted primaries.

“The SDP is already challenging INEC’s decision in court,” the statement read. “We trust the judiciary to do justice by compelling the Commission to admit the SDP’s candidates, as they were validly nominated in accordance with the party’s constitution, the Electoral Act, and INEC regulations.”

The SDP further argued that both its candidates and those of the Labour Party were reportedly rejected due to claims of internal party crises. However, it insisted that INEC’s action contradicts a Supreme Court ruling affirming the autonomy of political parties in candidate selection.

“The Commission has no constitutional authority to determine the candidates of political parties or dictate the nomination process,” Aiyenigba emphasized.

Leadership Crisis Deepens in SDP

The rejection of candidates by INEC comes amid a protracted leadership crisis within the SDP, which recently culminated in the dissolution of rival factions led by Alhaji Shehu Gabam and Dr. Sadiq Abubakar.

On July 25, 2025, a new National Working Committee (NWC) led by Adamu Modibo emerged at an emergency National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting in Abuja, attended by 23 state chairmen, including that of the Federal Capital Territory.

Modibo, in his remarks after assuming the role of Acting National Chairman, acknowledged the party’s internal challenges and pledged to initiate reconciliation efforts. “We are drawing a line,” he said. “A new disciplinary and reconciliation committee will be formed to unify the party and address misconduct.”

However, Dr. Sadiq Abubakar’s faction of the NWC has rejected the development, describing the NEC meeting as unconstitutional and unsanctioned.

National Secretary Dr. Olu Agunloye, aligned with the Abubakar faction, described the meeting as “illegal and irregular,” warning state chairmen against participating in actions that breach the party’s constitution.

According to Agunloye, several state chairmen have submitted sworn affidavits to INEC, distancing themselves from the NEC meeting and alleging unauthorized use of their signatures.

Suspensions and Expulsions Rock Party

The ongoing crisis has also led to a series of suspensions. On June 24, 2025, the Gabam-led NWC suspended its former National Chairman, Shehu Gabam, over alleged financial misconduct, misappropriation, and unauthorized transactions. Two other NWC members, National Auditor Nze Nnadi Clarkson and National Youth Leader Uchechukwu Chukwuma, were also suspended on similar grounds.

Adding to the turmoil, the SDP announced last week that former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, had been expelled from the party for 30 years. The party accused El-Rufai of falsely claiming SDP membership and promoting the interests of another political party in Kaduna State.

In a statement, Aiyenigba said El-Rufai had failed to register at the ward level as required, despite public claims of joining the SDP and associating with suspended leaders.

“The NWC has determined that his conduct violates the SDP Constitution and the Electoral Act, which grants political parties exclusive rights to determine their membership,” the statement read.

The SDP, while facing internal divisions and legal battles, says it remains committed to ensuring justice in the courts and restoring unity within its ranks. (Vanguard)




Comments

Post Comment

Rapper Falz announces engagement to fiancée

Rapper Falz announces engagement to fiancée

 No plans to dump NNPP for another party — Kwankwaso

No plans to dump NNPP for another party — Kwankwaso

Davido, Burna Boy, Shallipopi Lead AFRIMA 2025 Nominations as Lagos Prepares to Host Africa’s Biggest Music Celebration

Davido, Burna Boy, Shallipopi Lead AFRIMA 2025 Nominations as Lagos Prepares to Host Africa’s Biggest Music Celebration

End of an era: Billions of packages of ‘cheap’ goods shipped to the US are now subject to steep tariffs

End of an era: Billions of packages of ‘cheap’ goods shipped to the US are now subject to steep tariffs

‘TikTok for Artistes’ launches in Nigeria to support artiste growth and fan engagement

‘TikTok for Artistes’ launches in Nigeria to support artiste growth and fan engagement

Rivers: Bode George warns against extension of emergency rule beyond Sept 18

Rivers: Bode George warns against extension of emergency rule beyond Sept 18

NCAA launches Service Charter, commits to transparency, accountability

NCAA launches Service Charter, commits to transparency, accountability

Ex-VP hands over Yola property, former Adamawa PDP office to ADC

Ex-VP hands over Yola property, former Adamawa PDP office to ADC

Gulfstream Delivers First Longest Range Business Jet in the World

Gulfstream Delivers First Longest Range Business Jet in the World

Excess crude account shrinks to $535,823 as NEC orders accelerated reforms

Excess crude account shrinks to $535,823 as NEC orders accelerated reforms

Dangote ends West Africa’s fuel import dependence, emerges region’s key diesel, jet fuel supplier

Dangote ends West Africa’s fuel import dependence, emerges region’s key diesel, jet fuel supplier

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies

Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies

FG targets 25% contribution from ICT sector to GDP by 2030

FG targets 25% contribution from ICT sector to GDP by 2030

Governor Adeleke flags off enrolment of inmates into Osun health insurance scheme

Governor Adeleke flags off enrolment of inmates into Osun health insurance scheme

Trent Alexander-Arnold, PSG, Barcelona and the winners & losers of the 2025-26 Champions League draw

Trent Alexander-Arnold, PSG, Barcelona and the winners & losers of the 2025-26 Champions League draw

May, Obioma, Olugbile emerge as finalists of the Nigeria Prize for Literature, 2025

May, Obioma, Olugbile emerge as finalists of the Nigeria Prize for Literature, 2025

Amusan withdraws from Diamond League final

Amusan withdraws from Diamond League final

 Ex-champ McGirt tips Joshua to beat Usyk

Ex-champ McGirt tips Joshua to beat Usyk

Xi shows Trump who holds the cards as he sets up meeting with Kim and Putin

Xi shows Trump who holds the cards as he sets up meeting with Kim and Putin

Friday, August 29, 2025 10:41 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

Follow us on

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member
logo

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Contact

Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos State.
+234(0)8098020976, 07013416146, 08066020976
info@newsexpressngr.com

Find us on

Facebook
Twitter

Copyright NewsExpress Nigeria 2025