



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.







Obi presenting a cheque of N20m for Mokwa flood victims Monday in Minna
The former Governor of Anambra, and the 2023 Presidential candidate of Labour Party (LP), Mr Peter Obi, has donated twenty million naira to the victims of flooding in Mokwa, Niger on Monday.
Obi, who was received by the Deputy Governor of the state, Mr Yakubu Garba, on behalf of Governor Muhammad Bago, in Minna, expressed sympathy to the government and people of Niger over the unfortunate incident.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that about 153 lives had so far been lost to the unfortunate incident and properties worth millions of naira had been damaged in the flash flood.
He prayed for the repose of the souls of the victims and for God to grant their families the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.
Obi also told the deputy governor of his plans to personally visit Mokwa on a later date to meet with the victims in their moments of grief.
In his remarks, Garba thanked the former governor for supporting the distressed Mokwa flood victims.
The Deputy Governor who also received the donation on behalf of the government and people of Niger, commended Obi for his show of kindness and love for humanity especially, in support of the victims.
Obi was accompanied on the visit to the scene of the incident and to see affected families by the Acing National Chairman of LP, Dr Nenadi Usman, and the National Coordinator of the Obedient Movement, Dr Yunusa Tanko.
The former governor of Anambra, in his X handle, said: ?Today, along with Sen. Nenadi Usman and Dr Yunusa Tanko, I travelled to Niger state to condole and show solidarity with the governor and good people of the state over the devastating floods in the Mokwa area.
?While in the UK yesterday, I had earlier called the governor, His Excellency, Mohammed Umaru Bago, to express my heartfelt condolences.
?While in Niger state, I was warmly received by the deputy governor, Garba, and we had a discussion about the urgent needs of the affected communities.
?Over 200 lives had been lost, about 1,000 persons are still missing, more than 3,000 people have been displaced from their homes, and several homes destroyed,? he stated.
Obi revealed that the flood incident and others happening all over Nigeria affected us all.
He explained that as a family, we must come together to care, comfort and stand together, especially in times of grief and difficulty.
?I hereby urge and appeal to governments, all support agencies, and well-meaning Nigerians to assist the good people of Niger in ameliorating their sufferings.
?I also wish to commend the efforts of the governor and the local response teams for their courage and resilience in the face of this overwhelming challenge.
?As part of my commitment to stand with the people of Niger during this difficult time, I made an initial donation of N20 million to support efforts of the government and I will continue to support their efforts,? he added.
He prayed that God should comforts the families of those who lost their loved ones, protect those still missing, and grant healing and strength to everyone affected by the disaster. (NAN)



















