



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Minister of FCT, Nyesom Wike
There is panic in Abuja over plans by the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) to revoke 4, 794 properties over non-payment of ground rent.
The National secretariat of the People Democratic Party (PDP) located in the Central Business District, private and government owned properties are at risk of being sealed off by FCTA officials over alleged failure to pay ground rents of over 19 years.
The revocation exercise will commence on Monday (tomorrow).
Findings showed that property owners have started making phone calls and lobbying to prevent the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) from taking over their properties.
A top source In the FCTA told our correspondent that the calls and lobbying started on Friday evening hours after the briefing was held by the FCTA to revoke the properties.
The source said top Nigerians especially politicians are the major people calling for FCTA to shelve the revocation.
Ground rent is a yearly fee landowners pay for the right to occupy and use their land.
In March 2025, Minister of FCT, Nyesom Wike revoked 4,794 land titles in the country?s capital over alleged non-payment of ground rents.
Recall last Friday, FCT Minister?s Senior Special Assistant (SSA) on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka said the government had given enough time to the property owners.
Olayinka said: ?ownership of the revoked 4,794 properties in the Central Area, Garki I and II, Wuse I and II, Asokoro, Maitama and Guzape districts, had already reverted to the FCTA, and as from Monday, next week, the government will begin to exercise its rights of ownership on the affected landed properties.
?As usual, this will be done without consideration as to ownership of the affected landed properties. It will be purely in line with extant laws and regulations guiding the process.?
Olayinka briefed reporters alongside Director of Land Administration, Chijioke Nwankwoeze and Director Department of Development Control, Mukhtar Galadima.
Many people are waiting for what will happen on Monday and how the revocation will be handled by the FCTA. (The Nation)

























