



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.







Captain Alex Badeh Junior
The Director General of the Nigeria Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB), Captain Alex Badeh Junior, has confirmed the recovery of the data card from the aircraft that crash-landed at the General Tunde Idiagbon International Airport, Il?rin.
This comes as investigation efforts continue into the incident.
Daily Trust reports that the Diamond training aircraft, with registration number BNI and operated by the Ilorin International Aviation College (IAC), crash-landed on Friday.
The incident reportedly involved the head of training, identified simply as Ajape, and a female student, Lola.
Both are currently receiving treatment at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH).
The crash occurred at 17:28 local time during a simulated instrument approach on Runway 05, when the aircraft veered off the runway and came to a stop on the grass verge.
The twin-engine aircraft, the last operational unit from the college?s fleet of two, was reportedly damaged beyond repair.
Speaking to Daily Trust in Il?rin, Badeh said both occupants of the aircraft survived the crash, one with serious injuries, and the other with less severe wounds.
?The aircraft came to rest just to the left of the runway, depending on the direction of approach. Our team is on-site and we expect to conclude recovery operations within the hour,? he said.
Badeh confirmed that the data card had been successfully retrieved and that the process of downloading its contents had commenced.
A preliminary report is expected within the next 30 days.
?As an investigative body, our mandate is to determine what happened, to whom it happened, how it happened, and, most importantly, how to prevent a recurrence,? he explained.
He added that four investigators will remain at the crash site to complete their measurements before returning to Abuja.
The memory card will be analyzed at the NSIB transport safety lab to inform the agency?s safety recommendations, he noted.
Assuring the public, the DG said the incident occurred during a routine training flight, stressing that such accidents, while unfortunate, can occur in training environments.
?There is no cause for concern. Our airspace remains safe,? he said.
Badeh also confirmed that both pilots are conscious and coherent.
?One has undergone an MRI scan, and both are receiving appropriate medical care. They are in stable condition, considering the circumstances,? he added. (Weekend Trust)



















