



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Burnt Taraba homestead
By ZAGAZOLA MAKAMA
Barely weeks after security forces brokered a peace accord between farmers and herders in Karim Lamido Local Government Area of Taraba State, renewed violence has broken out, triggered by actions that have now led to death, destruction and growing instability in the region.
Zagazola Makama was reliably informed by intelligence sources that despite the security agencies holding three separate meetings with youth and community leaders where appeals for restraint and peaceful coexistence were passionately made, local youths in Badanwa reportedly violated the terms of the agreement by launching attacks on Fulani herders grazing near their farms.
The sources said that the troops deployed under Operation Lafiyan Jamaa responded swiftly to a distress call at about 2:50 p.m. on Friday, May 23. Upon arrival, the troops discovered that some fleeing Fulani herders had retaliated in panic, killing two locals believed to be from Munga Lelau village. The victims, according to sources, were attacked with machetes during the chaos and confusion that ensued.
The violence spiraled further when troops, while pursuing leads into the unfolding crisis, encountered armed bandits burning houses in Munga Lelau. In the exchange of fire, troops neutralised two of the bandits and recovered a dane gun, a cell phone, a fabricated pistol, and four cartridges. Further searches around Munga Doso village led to more arms recovery.
The crisis, according to security officials, could have been avoided if community leaders had been obeyed and the peace agreement upheld.
?You cannot go and attack people grazing near your village and expect them not to retaliate. That is the reality we are dealing with. We had already put a framework in place for dialogue and monitoring,? one of them said.
Security forces have since intensified patrols in the general area to forestall further escalation. However, the general situation remains volatile, with fresh tensions threatening to undo months of painstaking confidence-building efforts.
In the wake of these developments, security authorities have suggested that the local government consider imposing a curfew in the affected areas as a short-term measure to prevent further reprisal attacks and restore normalcy.
?It?s time to go beyond warnings. There must be consequences for those who break peace accords or act as enablers of violence. No community can progress in a state of perpetual suspicion and provocation,? said Bala Ibrahim, a conflict resolution expert based in Jalingo.
Zagazola reports that for now, the military and other security agencies have continue to dominate the general area with strategic patrols. But the challenge ahead is steep: rebuilding broken trust, enforcing accountability, and ensuring that peace is not just signed but sincerely upheld. (Zagazola)

























