



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

SP Joshua Ukandu, Police Public Relations Officer, Ebonyi State Command
By CHRISTIAN OGBONNA
A 16-year-old SS2 student at a private secondary school in Abakaliki, has faked her own kidnap, says the police command in Ebonyi State.
The girl allegedly contacted a family member claiming she had been kidnapped and demanded a ransom of N2 million for her release.
SP Joshua Ukandu, Police Public Relations Officer, Ebonyi Command, told reporters on Monday that a family friend helped her plan the hoax.
Ukandu said the girl attends a privately owned school located on Watchman Street in Abakaliki.
She is a native of Izzi Local Government Area and was due to return to school for the third term on Saturday.
The girl told police she had gone to buy second-hand clothes, known locally as ?Okirika?, when someone tapped her from behind.
She claimed to have lost consciousness and woke up the next day at Ishieke Junction in Ebonyi Local Government Area.
She added that she often dreams of being kidnapped, and her mother regularly prays against it.
Upon regaining consciousness, she asked for directions back to Abakaliki town.
Instead of returning home, she went to the house of a family friend who had no idea she was missing.
Using the man?s phone, she messaged her brother, claiming she had been kidnapped and demanded N2 million ransom.
Her brother asked to speak with the kidnappers and requested their location, but she refused and blocked his number.
Later, she unblocked his number and sent an account number belonging to the family friend hosting her.
Unluckily for her, the phone was tracked. Police raided the house and arrested everyone involved in the plot.
The police spokesperson confirmed that the command has launched a full investigation into the incident.
The girl has since been reunited with her family, though the matter remains under police investigation due to her age. (NAN)






![Wizkid, Asake, Tems, Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards [FULL LIST]](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.newsexpressngr.com%2Fimages%2F2026%2F05%2F1779250437.jpg&w=256&q=75)


















